Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 T Bird

cobramike

I just opened a new box with a '56 T-Bird that has the body molded in Red...FUgly red. It's a 1/24 Monogram kit from 1982.
I am debating whether to finish it as stock, or maybe make some serious changes, although I do like the early Birds! Have other done this build?
I would appreciate it if anyone wants to comment or suggest what I should build this as! All comers are welcome, as I love ideas. Here's a few shots of what I have here.
post-11131-0-26113800-1364330940_thumb.jpost-11131-0-92225400-1364330941_thumb.jpost-11131-0-49674400-1364330943_thumb.jpost-11131-0-73695600-1364330944_thumb.jpost-11131-0-77806500-1364330945_thumb.jpost-11131-0-52302300-1364330948_thumb.jpost-11131-0-16620900-1364330947_thumb.j

Wow, if you do a quick perusal of Google images, you might come away with the impression that all the '56s came standard with those continental kits (I didn't do any research other than that, so it may have actually been standard). I detest continental kits, so if this was my kit, the first thing I'd do is lose the spare tire carrier and modify the rear bumper accordingly. Lose the top too. The result should be a sportier looking car, which is kinda what Ford intended.

That is one of my favorite kits! The metal body version that came out (late 70's, early 80's I believe) was also a good kit. The fit and finish was excellent from what I remember.

I can't speak for earlier versions, but I had the "American Graffiti" version from sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's,and its parts fit and finish were exceptional, especially since the one I had was a flood car.

Wow, if you do a quick perusal of Google images, you might come away with the impression that all the '56s came standard with those continental kits (I didn't do any research other than that, so it may have actually been standard). I detest continental kits, so if this was my kit, the first thing I'd do is lose the spare tire carrier and modify the rear bumper accordingly. Lose the top too. The result should be a sportier looking car, which is kinda what Ford intended.

'55 Thunderbirds carried the spare in the trunk, but due to lack of room and complaints from customers, the '56s have Continental Kits. The '57s had longer trunks, smaller wheels and they relocated the fuel door allowing the tire to placed in it vertically on the side.

I built one of these up years ago stock and still have it. I would post a picture but, it just looks like the one on the box. I painted it red because of the red plastic. I think it went together without a problem the only thing I would change is to add more detail to the engine compartment. I wish it was 1/25 scale instead of 1/24. My AMT '57s look small next to it. I now have a 1/25 scale AMT '56 T Bird and am wondering how it will compare, still waiting to be built.

Birds should always be stock imo , actualy they should pass a law about this lol

Thanks Anne for your opinion, I kind of agree with your take on T-birds, but this kit really is BORING! I have to do something to perk it up, and like Monty said, those conti kits make it look like a lead sled! I was 9 years old when these came out, never much cared for the kit! Ford could have really made these models into Corvette killers if they had had the balls to do it. But putting a conti kit on the rear was nothing but stupid at best! There is one car on the net I have been looking for and it seems it must have sold. It's really a cool custom 56 Bird in Burgundy. I guess I just need to start at it and see where it leads me.

Birds should always be stock imo , actualy they should pass a law about this lol

I have most of one of these kits in the parts bin. I plan on bashing it with the '90s Mustang GT Convertible kit for the engine, drivetrain, suspension, and wheels.

I'd love to find a kit of the premier '55 T-bird and build it stock though.

Edited by dmk

I dislike the connie kits on the '56's as well, so I turned mine into a '55. I built this one back in '99. One suggestion-----I strongly recommend some kind of barrier on the plastic unless your intention is to paint it red. That red plastic is NASTY and is notorious for bleeding through. I used Future Floor Wax to barrier the plastic before I laid one coat of paint on it. No bleed through whatsoever! ;)

tbirdrear-vi.jpg

tbirdhardtoprear-vi.jpg

tbirdtrunk-vi.jpg
P7262547-vi.jpg

PA127608-vi.jpg

DCP_0284-vi.jpg

tbirdchassis-vi.jpg

One faux pas was the color of the dash.....should be a darker green/turquoise, but I was using pics from an actual car at the time and that's the color its dash was.

Edited by MrObsessive

I built this kit back in the mid 80's, when I was just getting back into the hobby. I never painted it because at the time I was afraid of the red plastic bleeding through. The kit is very basic and was not hard to build, but I think with it being 1/24 scale it looks too big.

I built this kit back in the mid 80's, when I was just getting back into the hobby. I never painted it because at the time I was afraid of the red plastic bleeding through. The kit is very basic and was not hard to build, but I think with it being 1/24 scale it looks too big.

I agree that the 1/24 scale is big. I got the kit from my sister, and it was given to her along with 10 other's when a old friend of hers had to be moved to a nursing home, and she stored the kits in her basement for well over 20 years or so. She thinks she has more and will look for them.

I dislike the connie kits on the '56's as well, so I turned mine into a '55. I built this one back in '99. One suggestion-----I strongly recommend some kind of barrier on the plastic unless your intention is to paint it red. That red plastic is NASTY and is notorious for bleeding through. I used Future Floor Wax to barrier the plastic before I laid one coat of paint on it. No bleed through whatsoever! ;)

Nice job on your Bird, sweet ride! I have never used future, it would seem that using a wax base would cause the paint to peel or blister. Your saying it won't cause a problem? Can't I just use some of my Tamiya primer to coat it and wouldn't that stop it from bleeding also?

One faux pas was the color of the dash.....should be a darker green/turquoise, but I was using pics from an actual car at the time and that's the color its dash was.

Yes, I do remember that the dash was a couple of shades darker with this color, but I think yours is perfect anyway. Great car!

As for the Conti kit, I used to love those when I was a kid, they were also on numerous other cars of the time. They seemed to have made the cars much more "sleek"?

Future Floor Wax is not a "wax" in the strictest sense. It's actually an acrylic clear coating that's used to shine up floors. It's now called "Pledge with Future Shine", and can be found at most grocery stores or at a Wal-Mart for instance. I airbrush mine on, and I keep the pressure about 12 PSI because it can be rather runny. To get the complete rundown on Future, click here as this site gives some really neat tips on Future Floor Wax.

As far as simply spraying Tamiya primer.........that's OK as far as it goes, but there are still solvents in their primer that may bring the red pigments to the fore-----especially if you want your T-Bird to be in lighter colors such as my Thunderbird Blue. One other alternative for using as a barrier coat is something called BIN Zinsser, which is excellent as a barrier for the newer softer plastics they're using these days.

Hope this all helps!

Future Floor Wax is not a "wax" in the strictest sense. It's actually an acrylic clear coating that's used to shine up floors. It's now called "Pledge with Future Shine", and can be found at most grocery stores or at a Wal-Mart for instance. I airbrush mine on, and I keep the pressure about 12 PSI because it can be rather runny. To get the complete rundown on Future, click here as this site gives some really neat tips on Future Floor Wax.

As far as simply spraying Tamiya primer.........that's OK as far as it goes, but there are still solvents in their primer that may bring the red pigments to the fore-----especially if you want your T-Bird to be in lighter colors such as my Thunderbird Blue. One other alternative for using as a barrier coat is something called BIN Zinsser, which is excellent as a barrier for the newer softer plastics they're using these days.

Hope this all helps!

Thanks a ton for this info. I will be heading to the store to get some of that Future product. We have hardwood floors in all but 1 bedroom, is it a good product to use on them also?

About the primer, I am now not going to use it after your comment that it might bring red pigments to the surface. I am thinking of painting the car Wimbledon White with some, notice I said some Pearl powder in it. I have never painted a car white before, thinking it would be a good choice for this bird.

We have hardwood floors in all but 1 bedroom, is it a good product to use on them also?

Future is not meant for hardwood floors------it's meant for linoleum tile floors seen in a lot of kitchens. I have to wonder these days with so many new floors being "self shining", if Future is actually bought by more model builders than the general public themselves! :lol: