Model Cars Magazine Forum

Promotionals , Anyone collect Vintage promos

Just curious, to me they are kind of the pain in my bank account. My ultimate plan is someday to get all the mopar promos from 1966 thru 1974

At one time I had most of them then needed cash a few years back ( started my own business and wanted operating capital ) and sold a good size chunk off.

Now slowly as funds allow I would like to rebuild the collection. Although I still have a pretty nice collection of some of the more desireable ones, like a Limelight 1970 Hemi Cuda , a Bright blue 1968 Barracuda ( Both in there original box ) , 3- 1969 GTX's , Dodge Chargers from 1969 thru 1971 ,also have the 1971 and 1972 Dusters

I had a curiuos Yellow 1971 Hemi Cuda , but couldn't resist the $1000 offer I had on it so it went away.

I consider them to be off shoots of model kits so was just wondering if anyone collects them as well

I've got about 100 or so I've accumulated over the years...mostly mint but some worn. I started off in the '80s with the MPC '80s Camaros and Corvettes, but have a lot of '60s Fords and some Johan Cadillacs. I have the MPC '71-76 full size cars, probably the most I paid for a promo was the '71 Impala convertible. Not much in the way of Mopars.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm not into promos because I find it hard not to detail them! I'm a builder and modifier at heart and that's a big no no! I'm not a fan of the early ones that warped.

I do have about 100 promos that I mostly acquired with a collection. Many of them had detail painting already, or were in poor condition so I won't feel bad using them as the basis of a model project.

The one promo I own that I paid money for is a '66 Valiant Signet. I believe I paid $450 for it. I used to have a 1:1 so I wanted to own the elusive promo!

I collect Corvette promos although don't have any of the pre '70 ones as they're too pricy for my budget. Some of the real cheap ones out of the '80s & '90s I've treated like kits, detailed and repainted (I don't enjoy detailing engines so rather enjoy doing curbsides).

Cool, I got into them mainly due to investmant values, and vintage kits values are too volatile price wise. Plus they're instant gratification. Pull it out of the box, wipe it off and in the case it goes.

If a kit gets re-issued the value of the original in most cases drops like a stone. Plus I was told years ago by someone who used to do box art builds for AMT and he told me I would be surprised by the number of tooling that still existed for vintage plastic kits. So I decided to start selling off collectable kits while the gettin was good.

For me, Promos tend to hold there value much better.

And Yes , I am one of those guys that looks at what something costs and is worth. I prefer to not put my money into something I might take a bath on later if it gets re-issued.Thats why I have a hard time spending $20 and up for re-issued model kits, when I know the tooling was paid for a LOOOOOOONG time ago . ( price of raw materials hasn't gone up that much) I doubt I have more than maybe a dozen kits in my stash thats less than 5 years old.

Ahh, but what if a certain tooling was modified through its run and the reissues only represent the latest iteration? What about the vintage kits that are earlier iterations of that tooling? Those are the ones that I actively hunt down. :)

I have a few hundred but started selling them off at the local antique mall. As for the value it seems a lot of them took a dive like most other collectibles. I have late 70's and up for under $20.00 and some for only $12.00, all new in box never displayed and they don't sell very well.

My best ones are the 66 & 67 Corvette, may keep those, at least until the prices rebound some.

Edited by AzTom

Good the hear there are other promos affcianodos on here.

Yes, early Vettes can be big money. And I don't think much of any make or model after about 1974 - 75ish is a big money piece. At least nothing like the earlier cars/trucks.

One of the things I've found is ,, color,, it will play a role in value in a big way . Even the box will add value , especially if it's a cartoon box like for the 1969 Plymouth GTX or the 1969 Plymouth Barracuda fastbacks.

I know promos like say the 75 - 76ish Dodge Darts will only bring in the $30-$40 range . It's just like in the 1/1 world . newer than about 1974 drops like stones. Yet the 1971-72 Duster promos can still bring in the $200-$300 range if it's the right car, color and condition.

I sold a sassy grass green 1971 Duster w/the box and decals about 4 years ago within minutes of listing it on Ebay for $450.

Then turned around and bought another one less than a year later ( on ebay ) for under $200. ( still have that one btw ) so it's all about patiance - timing + a little bit of luck.

The most expensive Mopar promo I've ever seen was an early 60's Imperial convertible in black. I think it was maybe a 1962 or 1963 ish ???

I was floored when that car sold for almost $2500 when the same weekend a purple 1971 Cuda sold in the $1500 range. which with exception to a 1969 Coronet R/T convertible . I thought the 71 cuda was the holy grail of Mopar promos.

I do watch out for good deals in hopes I can flip it to help pay for the ones I keep.

Edited by gtx6970

I've bought a few promos. But, nothing that hasn't needed restoration until yesterday. I finally scored a '71 Vega for $58.50 shipped. It was graded as a 10 out of 10 and from the photos, it sure looked like it. But, I'll see when I get it. I usually buy them to bash with a kit or to build as a curbside. It may be hard for me to hack this one up if it is indeed a 10. At the same time, it will be hard for me to not to replace the awful looking '78 body on the "Twister" Vega kit.

I have a Few. Deluxe PMC 59 Country Sedan with interior, etc

AMT 62 & 63 Ford Galaxie 500XL convertibles Both Rangoon Red,

and a 63 Town Vic hard top in Ming green

63 & 64 Falcon Sprint Futura Convertibles!

Heritage Burgandy 65 T-Bird convert I got for Christmas that year!

Matching hardtop needing parts, and a 62 Hardtop in Cream/off white

50-52 Chevy Fleetline "Admiral Blue". No grill

Jo-Han 62 Studebaker Lark convert.

X-El 58 Olds & Cadillac 4dr sedans, and 2 56 Plymouth 4dr sedans

AMT Indy Pace car 92 Viper, 95 Vette, & Stealth

and Pickups, Dodge & Dually, & Chevy Stepside

Lastly a 57 T-Bird Body, interior & windshield.

Thought the 64 Galaxie in th lot was one, but being White under the

Turq. paint leads e to believe it is a Craftsman kit from before the "Pro-Shop" issue

I do like them, IF I can get them cheap. But then they need work

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Forgot one. AMT 64 T-Bird Hardtop Philco AM Radio.

No it does not work. Two wires are broken off circuit board, one from the battery clip,

one from Speaker ,not sure where either goes, so.........................................

Besides, Only paid 50 CENTs for it at a yard sale!!

Got very lucky went back the next day and found the grill/front bumper!!!

• 2 months later...

Very nice set. Is it just the promos that had 'MUSTANG' on the licence plates? I've got a white coupe in rough shape and a convertible with that. Seemed to me the kits all had the year in the plate area.

mike

I picked this one up yesterday at the Brass Armadillo Antique mall in Goodyear Az, just couldn't pass it up.

Product Miniature 52 Plymouth 4 door in 1/20 scale.

ProdMinPromo52Plymouth_120_-vi.jpg

This one rang my bell since I'm trying to build my first car, a '51. The scale would have probably kept me away from using one of these, and most likely price also.

I've never jeard of these, so thanks for posting.

Edited by Foxer

This one rang my bell since I'm trying to build my first car, a '51. The scale would have probably kept me away from using one of these, and most likely price also.

I've never jeard of these, so thanks for posting.

I have the wagon version of this, also purchased from a flea market. Mine got stepped on and has no roof. I figure I'll build some kind of surf wagon from it someday. R&R did a Plymouth 4 door sedan of this era in 1/25 scale.