Model Cars Magazine Forum

More tire parts paks?

Well, we have the really nice, old-school drag slick and Firestone tire parts packs to be thankful for- now, wouldn't it be cool if we could see some of the other old tires like the T/A radials, Blue Streak stock car specials, the hollow MPC Goodyears, etc, brought back in the same way? You know, with the correct printing and all that...

i hope they branch out into more than just tires...like a buick nailhead motor with speed equipment. personally i think they are sinking their own ship just offering tires (particularly ones i have no interest in...disco polyglas anyone?)

i hope they branch out into more than just tires...like a buick nailhead motor with speed equipment. personally i think they are sinking their own ship just offering tires (particularly ones i have no interest in...disco polyglas anyone?)

Sinking their own ship?!? They're taking tires from kits and selling them in packs. No investment other than the little box and tray that holds them. It's genius if you ask me, and they've sold very well so far. You'll see more, plenty more...

As for that nailhead... whistle.gif

Sinking their own ship?!? They're taking tires from kits and selling them in packs. No investment other than the little box and tray that holds them. It's genius if you ask me, and they've sold very well so far. You'll see more, plenty more...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Revell (excluding AMT here since they haven't released any non-promo kits in a while) has the ability to simply mold ONLY the engine parts from a specific kit. Yes, they'd save some plastic if they could mold only the engine parts, but the entire mold needs to be placed into the molding machine, and I don't even think it's possible, as the molds are currently designed, to mold sections individually.

Tires are molded separately from the rest of the kit, so they are far easier and cost effective to sell separately, or paired with other tires in a parts pack.

That's basically correct, I'm sure they could probably take inserts out and place them in other base molds and maybe make up some sort of parts pack of motors, but they'd have to do more than one motor at a time... I'm sure that kind of forward thinking is built into the tooling nowadays (look at the Stacey David car, most of the motor related stuff is on its own small sprue) so that it might make some interchangability easier down the road. Precise CAD/CAM now makes the mold insert breaks pretty much invisble on the finished product, about the only way to tell is to look at how the parts are grouped on the tree if they're part of a larger tree, which is usually the case with chromed trees (since you want one big chrome tree to make it easier to plate. White trees you don't really care if they come out small.)

Both the Revell and AMT parts pack motors were conceived more or less like a full kit with parts all being run at the same time from the same mold. Even though some were sold individually, they were produced in batches from one large mold.

And yes, tires get molded completely differently on completely different equipment, often in different facilities. I've been told (I don't know if it's true or not) that a tire mold is the single most expensive piece of tooling in a model kit, which is why so many kits share tires, even if they're not prototypically correct.

From what I know about 1/1 parts production. Model parts trees are probably just a 2 piece mold cavity. Where as tires are most likely a 3 piece tool that have a sliding tool insert to provide the hollow cavities in molded tires

I believe they also have to be kept at a certain temperature to cure the vinyl/rubber compounds. I think some of the newer hollow "thermoplastic" tires may be made on equipment more like how they "blow" plastic soda bottles. Anyhoo, I know the hollow ones are made differently than the solid ones, and hollow seems to be the way of the future, like them or hate them. I don't mind the hollow tires, I just don't like the wheels that are made to fit inside of them like what Revell's been doing. I like that putting the sprue gate on the extra "ring" that fits inside the tire keeps the lip of the rim from having chunks torn out of it, but they need to scale back on the size of some of those rings, they're tough to work with. They'll get it right, I hope - it's still a relatively new design for them.

yeah brett you are right in that sense absolutely, they basically manufacture a big tub of tires and then have plenty of leftovers, its genius to say hey lets sell these tires separately! i just hope they branch out a bit more and maybe spend some money on the series other than for packaging...and offer something either not available elsewhere or out of production for a long time now or with period correct parts tooled and included. in fact those classic cars whose tools are supposedly no longer with us? how about maybe some of the crucial parts ARE still with us and make a conversion kit to make the 32 vicky edsel nose version with an existing vicky kit? i am sure there are some good examples of "update" kits that could be offered as parts packs.

and revell: bring back the motorcycles. especially the hardley worthitson, man you will sell a million. remember who told you so! <_<

but i do recall how evidently revell bean counters or someone decided they could never sell them (parts packs) so they discontinued them and when they did take a chance (engine parts packs) they basically did a belly flop in the marketplace. so maybe they do have a reason for not indulging fools like me. but i still fall back on: put some imagination into it and it will sell...

I thought I read on here, or some where, that Revell was going to offer both the Engines, and Motorcycle

parts packs, but got NO or Too Few orders/pre-orders for the motorcycles!

MAybe they should think about doing them as a set ins a standard size kit box!??

I have a few of the ford engine, One of the Pontiac, and none of the others. I do not like seeing them offered

cheap as 4-10 of the Same engine. Make up a box lot of the 4 different ones, and maybe.........................

I thought I read on here, or some where, that Revell was going to offer both the Engines, and Motorcycle

parts packs, but got NO or Too Few orders/pre-orders for the motorcycles!

Good memory, Dan.

BikePartsPack.jpg

The Revell Parts Pack engines reissued in the '90s/early '00s are still available for cheap (4 for $16 shipped to your door on eBay), so I don't think those were ever good sellers, either.

Round2 has found a sweet spot with parts pack tires, and I think if they pit the Polyglas GT tires in a parts pack (#6, perhaps?), they would be a huge seller.

I would like to see the MPC F60 Speedway's

(They were in the M-K 70 Bonneville and I though modified into the GT's in the

Modern 71 Duster kit. and many mid 70's annuals)

The G70's (They do need to fix the tooling, several recent sets I have

are too thin, as one side is inset)

I would also like to see the Old Original MPC Tall Skinny Power Cushion's!

Yes I would like White-stripe sides, and maybe even Wide-wide whites of the Power-Cushions.

I want the Firestone Champion's, but None of the slicks!

I build Stock.

Round2 has found a sweet spot with parts pack tires, and I think if they pit the Polyglas GT tires in a parts pack (#6, perhaps?), they would be a huge

Agreed, If they put the F60-15 in packs of lets say 4 or even better packs of 8 . I'll buy several right out of the gate. I might even take a few sets of the L60-15s just for sport

I would like to see the MPC F60 Speedway's

(They were in the M-K 70 Bonneville and I though modified into the GT's in the

Modern 71 Duster kit. and many mid 70's annuals)

The G70's (They do need to fix the tooling, several recent sets I have

are too thin, as one side is inset)

I would also like to see the Old Original MPC Tall Skinny Power Cushion's!

Yes I would like White-stripe sides, and maybe even Wide-wide whites of the Power-Cushions.

I want the Firestone Champion's, but None of the slicks!

I build Stock.

Both Model King and Stevens have been schelpping the G-70's for several years... albeit in plain packaging, ~$4 a set retail. I'll bet no one even knows...

The power of a neat little red box with a big AMT logo in the corner cannot be underestimated...

Agreed, If they put the F60-15 in packs of lets say 4 or even better packs of 8 . I'll buy several right out of the gate. I might even take a few sets of the L60-15s just for sport

When we were discussing these tires last November, I suggested that those of you who were interested in seeing them sold separately follow my example and drop Round2 a polite note at the address inside the link below. If we show enough interest, we might be able to make this happen.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65847#entry807764