Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blown 55 Cameo/unibody

This is another redo. This one had some separationg and etching as a result of the chopped topped and the sectioning to achieve the chopp (over years, it just appeared). So, I decided to redo it and put a very thin sheet of styrene at the top. There might be some etching again over years.

Blown Rat. Valve covers and scoop machined by Bob Dudek. Blower and pulleys machined by me:

CRW_0095_RJ-vi.jpg

Front suspension parts along with both front and rear air bags:

CRW_0102_RJ-vi.jpg

Fuel tank:

CRW_0109_RJ-vi.jpg

Opened doors, chopped and channelled. Needless to say that the chop and opening was a little challenging:

CRW_0106_RJ-vi.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy.

Excellent job so far Dirk!

Opening the doors on that Chevy pickup had to be a challenge because of the thinness of the windshield posts...............Not to mention building up the doglegs because of the wraparound glass.

I wanted to try that with my kit............but haven't had the guts yet! :)

I also LOVE the airbag suspension! 8)

Excellent job so far Dirk!

Opening the doors on that Chevy pickup had to be a challenge because of the thinness of the windshield posts...............Not to mention building up the doglegs because of the wraparound glass.

I wanted to try that with my kit............but haven't had the guts yet! :)

I also LOVE the airbag suspension! 8)

Thanks, Bill!

Opening the doors was trully a challenge, particularly since I chopped the top too. I finally figured out how to get it where it was sturdy enough. I frist attempted to drill small holed on either end, where I chopped the top and then insert small brass rod into each end. This worked until I sat on the caba and crushed it. I was still able to re-pin it, but then as I was testing the strenght of the post, the brass snapped (go figure, I guess brass is a little brittle).

What I finally ended-up doing, was to make small channels on the outside of the post and then took straight pins (which I beleive are steel) and inserted it. Working around the curve for the dog leg, I channelled with the slitting saw first and then I took a very small engraving tool to whittle out around that corner of the dog-leg.

I use a slitting saw that is metal, because if you use a cut off tool, the plastic will get too hot and start to melt. It still gets a little hot with the slitting saw, but not so much that it totally starts melting. Once the channel is made, I simply cut the pin to size, insert, and then fill with CA glue and a little activator. It seems to work okay. as now when I test it, it seems really strong. I also did this on the doors.

Again thanks for the compliment and I've always admired your work!

DBJ