Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Jewel T Altered

edboys

Started this project a couple of months ago and it is going somewhat slowly. Going to begin posting some of the progress photos I have up to this point. I've been in contact with Wes Ingram, who built the car and partnered with Joe Davis until he left the team in '68. He is an invaluable source sharing info regarding frame configuration that isn't available from existing photographs. Wes helps me fill in all those lost particulars that are needed to complete a project like this. I hope everyone that wishes to follow along enjoys the journey.

I'll start out with a shot of the Supercharged BBC that I created for this project. More on the actual development of the engine later, these shots shows some of the resin parts I have at this point. I will be using a GMC blower casing and the pic of the oil pan is the one created for use on the Jewel T.BBC52_zps141a9445.jpgBBC53_zps2b181103.jpgBBC56_zps74dac528.jpgBBC54_zps70279fe6.jpgJewelTOilPan_zps7f475c86.jpg

Mark... this is going to be an awesome build. I will be following along on this one for sure. You have the best 1/16 scale resin engines in the business. I need to get a couple more on order from you. I cant wait to see more progress on this build

Using an old 1/16 Pyro Tee,N,T kit for the 23 T body. Unfortunately, there is no turtle deck in the kit, so that is where I will be starting with the body. I borrowed the dimensions from the 1/25 Wild Willie Borsch kit to get me in the ball park in creating this one 1/16 scale.

23TBody1_zpsbbe3f948.jpg

23TBody2_zpsa97f86a6.jpg

23TBody3_zps258b9515.jpg

23TBody16_zps4bb61198.jpg

Starting with research for any and all info for the Jewel T Altered I found that there was no photographic info for the cockpit interior or substantial frame info inside or below the body. Wes Ingram has been invaluable in this regard being the builder of the car. So I began this build by importing photos into CAD, scaling the pics in order to create some usable drawings for layout purposes. This way I could begin to explore how the frame will go together. Test fitting some ideas and forwarding those to Wes for his input so he can steer me in the right direction. Here are some shots of where that process began.

JewelTFrameDwg1_zps31dd629b.jpg

JewelTFrameDwg5_zps736423f7.jpg

JewelTFrameDwg3_zpse9b02e29.jpg

JewelTFrameDwg13_zps57178311.jpg

JewelTFrameDwg14_zpsa1c4c855.jpg

JewelTFrameDwg16_zpsb6207652.jpg

Started this project a couple of months ago and it is going somewhat slowly. Going to begin posting some of the progress photos I have up to this point. I've been in contact with Wes Ingram, who built the car and partnered with Joe Davis until he left the team in '68. He is an invaluable source sharing info regarding frame configuration that isn't available from existing photographs. Wes helps me fill in all those lost particulars that are needed to complete a project like this. I hope everyone that wishes to follow along enjoys the journey.

I'll start out with a shot of the Supercharged BBC that I created for this project. More on the actual development of the engine later, these shots shows some of the resin parts I have at this point. I will be using a GMC blower casing and the pic of the oil pan is the one created for use on the Jewel T.BBC54_zps70279fe6.jpg

Where did you get the four hole Crower Injector? I have been looking for one for quite a while.

WOW looks great so far. I'm very interested in this build, In the early 70s I crewed for a AA/FA based on a Kellison Roadster chassis. I have many of the measurements needed, looking for courage. I thought I would do it in 1/25th but it may be easier in 1/16th. Thanks for the step by step.

Dave Labs,

That's a Hilborn 4-hole injector hat. The Crower looks different in shape, it does not narrow in the middle like the Hilborn shown. I make this part as well as all the other parts shown. I will post more on the engine later if I can figure out why I suddenly can't post pics anymore.

Thanks Chris. I find a lot of inspiration from your Snake Vega build.
Hey Mark.... Tanks for the kind words on my Army Vega build. I am loving the progress you are making on this build so far and I am really excited to see you bring this to life. You are a talented builder. I do have to ask what your trick is for bending your tube. Do you heat with a lighter, hot water, blow dryer? Just curiouser because they are very nice bends. Keep up the great work.

Chris,

Usually I bend by hand first, gently putting the radius in the plastic. As you already know the plastic has memory and wants to return to its' original shape. I then hold the plastic where I want it in final form and pass a lighter underneath, enough to introduce the right amount of heat to get the plastic to relax. You will feel the plastics' tension give when the right amount of heat has been attained. Continued holding in position until it cools and the plastic will now retain the bend I want. The jig I used in the photo is little different in that I found my usual method left bends in the straight area of the main roll bar hoop. By putting wooden guides along all the straight sections of the roll bar and then placing a pre-bent plastic tube in the jig, the use of the hair dryer supplied the needed heat to re-set the plastic tension.

Well, the image link is there along with my text message. Does anyone here know how to fix this little forum problem. Been to the general topics page and some other people have commented about the same problem and I didn't see a direct answer about how to fix it. Thanks for anyone's help. This forum project will come to an abrupt end if I cannot post pix.