Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wrinkled clear over a decal - cause?

Guys, what caused this?

2013-03-27192617_zpsdac5b64c.jpg

I decaled this three days ago. It went on fine, no solutions were used beyond water. This is Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic over Testors one coat. The other decals on the model were fine.

I also had this happen on another model, where I used flat clear of the same brand.

Any ideas?

I just brush it on the decals Rob. I don't know what the difference is. I just know it works. I've never used the Krylon Crystal Clear. I have bought a can of it to try out.

Yep, I have heard the same. However I'm not a fan of the ultra glossy paint jobs. I don't feel that the gloss is in scale if you catch my drift. It is far more gloss than any 1:1 car has. I like the results I get from the Duplicolor stuff.

I was told, by a very knowledgeable painter, NOT to shoot 2 part urethane through an airbrush. That's why I went out and bought a jamb gun.

Depends on the type of airbrush you have,personally this what I use to apply 2 part urethane and thats all it is used for clear coating only.

Airbrushforclearcoats.jpg

It doesn't matter what type of AirBrush you have.

Anything with at least a .3 needle will suffice.

I use HOK Clear in everything I have, Badgers, Iwatas, Paasche.

Sometimes people will advise a novice AirBrusher to stay away from Urethane clears because they know that they may be lax in thoroughly cleaning their tools.

Clean> use> Clean, it's as simple as that.

CadillacPat

start sealing your decals with decal solution such as micromark rather than krylon spray paint

I've produced 100's of decals for customers and seal them with decal film prior to shipping , not one single complaint of a reaction so far.

under about every clear coat you can imagine

Edited by scalenut