Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Z-28 Camaro

67 to 81....Got a 77 at home ready for a redo.....

Camaro styling peaked with the '70 model, IMO. First gen also nice, but after '70 a long, slow decline to where we are today. Just my opinion, of course... :D And I'm talking strictly styling, not anything under the skin.

What's a 'DoAllSer' ? Revell's lead times for new kits is absurd, esp. considering how fast Fujimi and Aoshima are able bring new models to market. I can understand if it is the corporate access, because Revell used to be able to bring new subjects to market in a timely manner--IIRC, the '97 Ford F-series kits, '99 Mustang Cobra, '99 Silverado all came to market in reasonable times, as did the '05 Mustang, Corvette, etc. Yet more recent subjects like the '10 Mustang GT and Shelby came out two years late. It's a non-issue for 40-70 year old subjects, but for current subjects it matters to be timely. DIecast companies release new subjects in a timely manner...

DoAllSer is the Chinese manufacturing company that makes the current promo-kits that AMT markets as the "Showroom Replicas" line.

Considering what Revell's been through in the past 10 years or so, they're lucky they're bringing anything out at all. They've come back from the brink, and more than once. Catering to the big-box stores by doing subjects like those late-90's late model cars and pickups is a big part of what put them on the brink, but that's a different story for a different day...

I think the current Revell brand under Hobbico's ownership has been doing a good job with new releases. They did get a little snakebit with the 2010 Mustangs due to Ford's redesign, which they had no knowledge of. As for their lead times, they're fine. They don't miss deadlines once they're set (and the dates that Tower Hobbies pulls out of their @#$ don't count - I get the official release dates, I have no clue where they come up with what they come up with). A couple recent models even wound up getting bumped up a month. I think they're finally learning the concept of under-promise and over-deliver...

Honestly, late models are not where US Revell needs to focus, they're just not strong sellers in today's US market. The 50 Olds, 57 Ford, and 62 Vette have all outsold their 2010 Camaro. Not to say that the Camaro is a dog, it's not, but when you hit a couple home runs a solid single just doen't cut it. Late models have always been solid singles at best, and in the climate of the '90's a handful of solid singles a year could pay the bills. In the 20-teens? Not so much... Need to knock a few out of the park every now and then. Granted, it's a different market now, and we're talking about knocking home runs out of minor league parks today vs. solid singles in the major leagues of the '90's, but that's just how it is now. What Aoshima and Fujimi can do in their home market is a totally different equation, and for the past few years it seems that when Fujimi and Revell-Germany both do a common subject, the RoG tends to come out on top, and are almost always lower in price.

And when it eventually comes out in a US Revell box, it's even cheaper.

If I'm Revell (and I'm not) I wouldn't bother with late models, the return is just not worth the risk nowadays, IMHO. In a couple years, when the inevitable re-design comes, you're stuck with a kit you can't move. As I alluded to earlier, they don't have the buying power of the big-box stores to amortize those kits now. It's a risk now. Get them back into Wal-Marts or move a few more pieces on Amazon, and maybe it's a different story. But such is the reality of 2013.

It's an unfortunate situation, the problem w/ the focus on older subjects is it alienates people interested in building models of current subjects. Not every modeler in the US is in the older crowd that Revell and Moiebus are catering to with kits of 40-70 yr old subjects. There are quite a few modern, late model subjects that deserve to be kitted.

I like a lot of the old subject kits, but the lack of a steady release every year of kits of modern subjects is frustrating...it was a much better situation 20-25 years ago as far as then-current subjects being kitted.

Edited by Rob Hall

It's an unfortunate situation, the problem w/ the focus on older subjects is it alienates people interested in building models of current subjects. Not every modeler in the US is in the AARP crowd that Revell and Moiebus are catering to with kits of 40-70 yr old subjects. There are quite a few modern, late model subjects that deserve to be kitted.

Rob, I could not agree with that anymore then I already do.

I still want to know what Revell/AMT/Moiebus plans are when the AARP crowd is gone and no longer buying their at that point 60-90 year old subjects, then what?, hope that the youger crowd is still around that they have been alienating all these years?

Can it really be a Z-28 without T-tops?

The original 1967 Z/28 was the basis for the 2014 which was a drivers car. Not a sticker package with T-tops. I like how competition improves the breed. Between the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro the cars keep getting better every year with better heritage type models every year. Now if Dodge could see fit to slip in a AAR with the new Cuda thats replacing the Challenger. It would fit perfectly above the R/T and the top dog SRT-8.

The original 1967 Z/28 was the basis for the 2014 which was a drivers car. Not a sticker package with T-tops. I like how competition improves the breed. Between the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro the cars keep getting better every year with better heritage type models every year. Now if Dodge could see fit to slip in a AAR with the new Cuda thats replacing the Challenger. It would fit perfectly above the R/T and the top dog SRT-8.

And while Fiat is at it, make the Charger a two door like it should be

I was wondering when they would get around to doing a Z-28 again.

I'm really surprised they hadn't done one much sooner.

Nice to see them getting back to a lighter performance car.

Edited by dmk

I dont like it at all. I will stick with my 2011, and probly trade it on a 2013 SS in the spring here. not a big fan of the tail lights.... actually hate them, as well as the skinny grill

As they say...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I like this a lot better. The front end doesn't look so "heavy" to me in this iteration...

Oh, I certainly get why AMT would have the CAD - just don't understand why Revell/Monogram wouldn't.

Not AMT - DoAllSer. They're just branded and sold as kits by Round2/AMT. Designed and manufactured by DoAllSer, who also makes toys and die-casts for a multitude of other companies and brands. DoAllSer owns and controls the tooling, not AMT, and, IMHO, that's the smartest way to do late-model cars nowadays. Quick and easy curbsides/promos, and let the molding house do all the design work and retain ownership of the tooling. That way you're not stuck with a worthless hunk of scrap metal 10 or 20 years from now when nobody cares about 2013 cars...

I actually kinda like the wheels...

Me too, but I'm not into that all black or flat black rims trend... Reminds me of our black winter steel rims. Either make them black with a machined wheel face or paint them gunmetal. Then I'll be happy, I like the style! Otherwise I like the car quite a bit, a Z28 with a 500 hp 427... Who d'a thunk it?

Not AMT - DoAllSer. They're just branded and sold as kits by Round2/AMT. Designed and manufactured by DoAllSer, who also makes toys and die-casts for a multitude of other companies and brands. DoAllSer owns and controls the tooling, not AMT, and, IMHO, that's the smartest way to do late-model cars nowadays. Quick and easy curbsides/promos, and let the molding house do all the design work and retain ownership of the tooling. That way you're not stuck with a worthless hunk of scrap metal 10 or 20 years from now when nobody cares about 2013 cars...

Okay, sure. But why wouldn't Revell have access to the same data, is what I'm getting at. Would you know? Did GM deny them for some reason?

The original 1967 Z/28 was the basis for the 2014 which was a drivers car. Not a sticker package with T-tops.

Absolutely right... but everybody remembers the second-gen cars with the stickers, spats, and T-tops. Just like people are more likely to associate the car from Smokey and The Bandit with the black t-top 'screaming chicken' car rather than the white and Lucerne Blue-striped original when they hear the name 'Trans Am'.