Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting bodies?

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Well I should start off by saying I've been building models for years but got out of it because I could never get the results

that I wanted when I painted the bodies. Well I'm back in it and decided to give it a second shot. What I'm working on is a 2010 Revell 1/12 Mustang Shelby GT500. I painted it with MCW Grabber Blue out of there rattle can and cleared it with Testors One Shot clear. For the most part it turned out ok after polishing it from 1800 to 12000 grit. But I rubbed through the paint to the primer on a couple of sharp edges. Is there a way to repair this without re-spraying the whole body.

What is the best polishing compound to use and if there are any tips on painting bodies PLEASE pass them on.. I'll be honest I suck at it.

Thanks!

1800 is kinda course, so next time start with 4,000 grit and then use 6,000. 8,000 and 12,000 grits for polishing ot your body. If you'll be polishing near an edge or crease, cover it with masking tape and polish up to the tape. Then move the tape to the other side of the edge and polish the rest of the area.

If you're talking about small thin burn spots I've had success touching them up with a brush. Dab very lightly in thin coats, almost like dry brushing. When you've built it up to your satisfaction, knock down the ripples with your polishing tools. It may not be perfect but only a trained eye looking for it will see it. Not sure about candies or transparent paints though.