Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making your own "wide 5" racing wheels/hubs

I've seen several people who are building short track race cars ask about "wide 5" wheels. There's several different sources for these, but if you don't want to order them and have a few tools and supplies, it's easy to make a basic set. Here's what you need:

Materials needed:

.010 sheet styrene

3/8" styrene tubing

.060 and .030 Plastruct hex rod

5/8 nylon washers from the hardware store

Deep open wheel backs from parts box

1-24_zpsddc7bc47.jpg

Tools needed:

Hobby knife

ruler

tweezers

Micro mark punch set

2-22_zps2ead228d.jpg

Start by finding some suitable open wheel backs from your parts box. An alternative would be to cut away the centers from a set of deep wheels, as shown.

3-22_zps1853b486.jpg

Next, cut a 3/8" long piece of the styrene tubing. This will become your hub.

4-17_zpsab3bd576.jpg

Cut a disc from the .010 styrene sheet slightly larger than the inside diameter of the wheel. As you can see, it doesn't have to be perfect. Glue the piece of tubing to the center of the disc, as shown.

5-11_zps7efdf39f.jpg

Next, punch out some discs from the .010 sheet using the punch set. I have no idea what the sizes are, but the biggest holes on each side of the punch set look good to me. Glue the larger disc to the top of the hub, then glue the smaller disc on top of that in the center.

6-8_zpsf9d8e6fd.jpg

7-5_zps33276596.jpg

If you don't have a punch set, an alternative way would be to slice off pieces of appropriately sized styrene rod.

Next, slice off some pieces of the .030 hex rod and glue them evenly spaced around the top of the hub plate. For the front hubs, use 4. For the rear hubs, use 8.

8-2_zps392cfcc7.jpg

This completes the hub assembly. Paint it the color of your choice, in this case aluminum. Now we move on to the rim itself.

9-1_zpsc7cb6559.jpg

Take the hardware store nylon washer and mark off where the lugs go. I use a template, as shown. The washers came from Ace Hardware and cost about 15 cents each.

10_zpsbbd98ba0.jpg

You can print out this template to use if you want.

15_zpsafef668f.png

Now, cut 5 pieces of the .060 hex rod and glue on the washer as shown, to represent lug bolts. If you want to add more detail, you can drill a hole in the center of the bolts and add a stud...or use model railroad nut/bolt/washer castings.

11-1_zps327c5b96.jpg

Now, glue the open wheel back to the washer and paint the color of your choice, in this case, white. You can also paint the lugs steel. Add valve stems too if you like.

12_zps82bbbfc7.jpg

Now, center your completed hub assembly from the rear and glue in place.

13_zps07e9fb23.jpg

And there you have it, a basic wide-5 wheel/hub assembly. Once you get the hang of it, this takes about 5 minutes per wheel and costs less than $1 for a set of 4.

14_zps68e32179.jpg

Now go build some short track cars!

Edited by roadhawg

Roadhawg, any idea on how long to cut the.030 & .060 hex rod ? Thanks again for this tutorial. I plan to utilize this a ton in my nascar builds :D

I just slice it about the same thickness bolts should be in that scale. It's not exactly rocket science, so if it looks close enough, it probably is.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey, thanks y'all, I had forgotten about this.

that wheel really does look good.

i assume ACC was used to adhere the styrene to nylon. any problems holding? i know Delrin can offer some challenges.

Yes, you assume correctly. I haven't had any issues at all, but then again, there's no stress on these parts. If there was any weight on it, I don't know.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...