Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Oldsmobile Station Wagon

Phildaupho

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

I have always had a soft spot for ’57 Olds. My parents had a ’57 Olds Super 88 four-door sedan when I first got into building model cars and reading car magazines. It was in this car that my family drove across North America with one of those “air conditioners” hung on the side window. Also etched in my mind’s eye is a memory of seeing four young guys cruising on the freeway on a hot summer day in a two-tone green ’57 Olds hardtop station wagon. To turn that memory into reality I used an R&R resin kit.

While I was at it I preformed some mild customizing by shaving some of the trim and installing an AMT parts-pak ’57 Buick grill. For a bit of realism I converted the molded headlights to lenses and reflectors. The stance was suitably lowered and parts-box custom wheels were installed. The kit only comes with a vacuum formed windshield so I had to fashion side and rear windows from sheet clear.

The paint is Model Master Custom Lacquer System White Primer, Emerald Green, Diamond Green and Ultra Gloss Clear.

NOTES regarding R&R KIT –

PROS – The trim, body shape and proportions are quite well replicated. The bumpers, grill, headlights and taillights come chromed. R&R is the only game in town if you want a 57 Olds Wagon and certainly offers a huge range of car bodies that are not available elsewhere.

CONS - The body had a lot of pinholes and rough areas Even though the chassis is identified as being for ’57 and ’58 Oldsmobiles, I had to shorten the rear of it substantially. The kit only comes with a vacuum formed windshield so I had to fashion side and rear windows from sheet clear. The leading edge of the rear door panel line was incorrectly scribed as a separate panel line rather than integral with the trailing edge of the front door. The rear window pillars needed to be realigned.

Outstanding job on the Olds Phil! I especially like your gentle touch of woodgrain in the side trim...very classy. I recognize the upholstery patern from the Revellogram 59 Impala...looks great. I have many R&R resins myself & I agree they are a little challenging, but if you're looking for station wagon kits from GM, Mopar & ford, they are just about the only game in town. They can be worked over to make some fine looking builds, as you have proven.