Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale salt flat roadster.

no, i haven't abandoned the mike hill '69 camaro. hopefully i'll be able to get back to it soon. in the mean time i started this roadster. it will be a salt flat car. it may not be 100% correct. it's mostly a fun kinda build.

i already started the motor. it's an ardun headed v-12 w/ a 16-71 roots blower.

Picture003_zps742f4780.jpg

Picture007_zpse3d4a618.jpg

010_zps2672af32.jpg

009_zps479f6bd4.jpg

wow!

edit to add: after seeing this i went back and revisited my thread asking about the ardun v-12 and realized it was you who posted those pics of the fantastic motor. great to see what its going in and that brass chassis ought to be something when its done!

Edited by jbwelda

thanks for the comments guys!

joe, i have a large metal cabinet with sliding glass doors (it's not as nice as it may sound) in my basement. i keep them in that.

two of my cars and one engine were built specifically for very good friends of mine.

thanks mark. when this car is finished. i'd really love to get back to the '69 camaro pro mod. i'm waiting for some custom photo etch to get finished. then i can start the chassis building on that car.

this really was supposed to be a kind of "fill in" build. of course it got way outa control. LOL.

with the arrival of the

spring weather the '37 is now out of the deep freeze and requires heavy amounts of feeding. so, the salt flat car will have to be streamlined a little. i was going to make an all aluminum quick change. that will now be a modified kit rear. i like the look of gussetted side bells. that's where i'll start.

added a proper length of 1/2 styrene to the center and filled it with JB weld. this was done i could properly machine it and not have it turn into a projectile.

DSCF1204_zpsd30ff5fe.jpg

machined the slots.

DSCF1215_zps5e0f1bd3.jpg

added the fins.

DSCF1222_zpsf2f6f864.jpg

primed it up.

DSCF1225_zps0f577fdf.jpg

Edited by comp1839

also got some work done to the body.

moved the rear fenders up to the line thingy.

DSCF1207_zps5dd2db14.jpg

also narrowed it a little.

DSCF1206_zpsd4474961.jpg

the car at ride height will be 36" at the top of the trunk. the top of the roll cage will be 44"-46" at ride height.

DSCF1212_zps740fb3cd.jpg

rear veiw.

DSCF1211_zps321ecd79.jpg

Edited by comp1839