Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chrysler 300 AWB

Nitrozilla

Hi Folks. It's been way too long since I've posted any of my "Off the Wall" builds.

I'm not sure how to classify it, so for now we'll just put it in the Custom Car category.

Most importantly, I want to point out that this is the 383 with Hemi valve covers. This is intentional to hide the top of the headers, which are from the Don Schumacher F/C. Other than that, take a look and I'll be glad to answer any other questions that come up.

Oh, yes, the steering works.

004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Richard - Thanx. I'm a little retentive when it comes to highlighting details. (A little?)

Niko - Hey young man!!!!! I'm glad to be back. Been following your stuff and everyone else's as well. Just kinda' hiding in the shadows.

BTW, edited the original post. I accidentally said the motor had Hemi heads. NOT! Hemi valve covers is what I should have said.

Chalk it up to subliminal avoidance of, well, you know.........

Thanx Dave & Greg.

Made some progress :)

Installed headers, fan and radiator. Next up is to make a power steering gearbox, (I wiped out the kit unit trying to make room for the headers), then punch holes in the firewall for the heater and master cylinder.

I'm also going to remove the molded in wipers for some PE replacements. Might even make some metal door handles too.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

In this "nothing to get excited about" update, I've started on the body prep by removing the windshield wipers and installing hood pin receiver tubes at both sides of the firewall. Also removed the door handles and trunk badge & script. I'm making b-pillars for the rear side windows, or are they c-pillars due to the front window vents?

Finally, I made templates for the side windows themselves and the grill. I'll be putting metal mesh in there. No pics to show of the steering column, but I have to hold back something for the next update, right?

016.jpg019.jpg018.jpg015.jpg014.jpg

• 1 month later...

.....and just when you least expect it, Zilla rears his head and pops up again. After a couple months of creative procrastination, I've finally gotten back on this build. I SHOULD go to completion without further delays now that I'm at the point I have arriven at. (For those of you learning English, "arriven" is not a real word. lol)

I pondered long and hard on the paint scheme and one day I finally decided on doing my second Mazmanian themed car. The first one was a rear engined Top Fueler.

There are too many "out there" mods, like the induction system, to even call it a phantom, so let's just call it Artistic License, okay?

My next step is to put a ton of shiny on the body. When that's done, I'll mask off the whole body except for the window trim and side molding. Those will be shot with gold lacquer to match the bumpers. The only remaining challenge is getting the hood to line up with the body. Not a problem at this point because it's only an adjustment to the mounting points on the firewall cowl.

Enjoy the pics.

020.jpg021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg

P. S. Working with new photography area. Thought I had enough light. WRONG!!! I'll fix that too.

Ray - Yeah, it's a touch on the Wild side

James - I took the theme of Maz's love for red & gold to the next level

Eric - Yes, you may be nutz. And yes, I am Mad. And yes, that is exhaust manifoilds being used for wire covers

Thanx All for lookin'

Great work again, and I'm really happy to see an update on this build. It looks excellent to me, the paint turned out very nice and I like the little details, just like the Exhaust Manifold as Wire Cover.

When you get it done, let's go racing?! :lol:

21_zps605c25c0.jpg

Niko - You win!!! I surrender. I'm not giving up the pink slip on this one.

James - Glad you like it. It just came to me to do a high rise with stacks.

Since we're on the subject, the high rise manifold is scratch built. On top of that is what I thought might be construed as a Forced Air Induction system. A "mini - blower" if you will. The housing / case is a catalytic converter from an '09 Challenger. The internal blades being turned by a pair of pulleys I made from aftermarket tank wheels. The belt is made from blue masking tape.

Edited by Nitrozilla

• 2 weeks later...

Get ready to be excited, because I already am. Sorry for a teaser with no pics, but here's why.

I masked off the window trim and side moldings, with BMF then masked off the rest of the body with blue tape. I shot it today with Testors Pure Gold lacquer. If you want a reference, it's the same color I shot the bumpers, head and tail light fairings. After pulling off the tape only a few areas around the rear window need touch up, but the rest came out beautiful.

The reason I'm not doing any pics yet is, the body needs to be cleaned of tape residue and it looks icky. lol

Hopefully, it will come off with warm water and soap, although I am prepared to be more aggressive.

Going to let it dry overnite, then clean it up in the a. m. Now that this step is done my worst fears are over and I can complete this beast. Stay tuned.

Edited by Nitrozilla

So much for getting excited. Even though I used a lacquer clear coat, what appeared to be tape residue is actually the pattern of the adhesive imprinted into the clear coat. I allowed it to cure for a week before applying the masking.

I'll be taking a bit of time to polish it out. Stay tuned.

Woot, Yay, Hooray, Whoopie !!!!! Got the window trim and side moulding painted. Also polished and waxed the body to the best of my ability. Obviously still needs improvement, but I've got to finish this and move on to my next project.

Next will come installation of the bumpers, headlights, grill, tail lights and parachute.

Enjoy

024.jpg025.jpg028.jpg027.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get more work done than you'll see in this update while the site was down. I'll do another update soon. It's very near completion now with just hoses, master cylinder and grill to do along with final touch up.

As you'll see, I lost a tail light lens to the carpet monster. Never spent so much time looking for a part before looking into other options. Finally came up with the finger nail solution. Found some press on nails that bent without splitting and, of course, were very easy to file to shape.

Then added some front and rear goodies. Thanx for looking and a belated "Thanx Ira!!"

029.jpg030.jpg031.jpg032.jpg