Model Cars Magazine Forum

How would a judge for models be found?

I have recently returned to model building after a 25 year hiatus.

I was very active in 4-H as a kid, and entered several models each year for our 4-H fair.

Back in the day, we generally had very good judges, who I felt were qualified to be a judge of models.

I have been very dismayed in the past few years by the selection of judges at our county 4-H fair. Just two years ago, the reserve grand champion car model was a die cast "made in China" drag car. I'm not even sure that the 9 year old that entered it knew what he was entering, or that he assembled anything on the car, other than removing it from the box. "How cute!!!!!!!!!" the 20 something girl judge exclaimed when he dropped it off. "Did you paint that free hand?" she asked about the colorful decals applied to the sides of the car.

This gal was equally enamored with another die cast MIC car, an old Chevy truck that looked to be a Franklin Mint model. "Wow. You must be really good to have painted 'C-H-E-V-R-O-L-E-T' on the tailgate with a brush" she said in absolute astonishment. The funniest part was that the kid who entered the model was simply bewildered, and couldn't even answer the question. His face turned about nine shades of red after she asked him, about the tailgate. This truck only won a champion ribbon, so Franklin Mint needs to get busy if they want to win.

Even though we won a blue ribbon with an honor star, I feel that all the kids, including us, who assembled real model kits from a box of unpainted parts were cheated. FWIW, the 4-H rule book states that the entered model must be assembled from a kit.

There are several kids, even though they have been building models for 8 to 10 years, are no longer going to enter models because of the time and expense...just to have an unqualified judge pass on their hard work and give a podium win to a kid who entered a die cast model they found on their Grandpa's shelf the very morning that the model was due. It's not like we have enough kids in 4-H, or enough kids entering models at the fair.

I am planning on approaching the 4-H director about this issue. While I might get the door slammed in my face, on the off chance that I am asked for advice or help, where would we find a qualified judge?

We are close to Indianapolis. Unfortunately, this is an unpaid job, and falls right smack dab in the middle of a work day.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

If you are unable to find a willing judge, I wonder if you could convince them to set it up kind of like the box stock category at a regular contest wherein you have to produce the kit instructions to prove the basis of this model came from a kit.

Of course I just typed the previous paragraph and I thought of Cliff and Larry Read who do amazing work with diecast so..... I think I just confused things more. :rolleyes:

Just call the head of 4H in your area and ask what happened. 4H is all about the kids and teaching life lessons . Just point out the rules part ,not the fact the girl did not have a clue.

You might need to find a few retirees to offer their service ,they should get into the fair for free if they are a judge .

Be prepared will options before you call. The above comments have some good options.

The Hooser Model Car Association is a very active club with knowledgeable members in the Indianapolis area. They sponsor a show each year so I'm sure they'd be more than qualified and probably happy to judge your event.

Contact Jim Cassassa at JCasassa@wolftechnical.com,

We have made use of "real car guys" to judge our shows in the past. We learned that unless they are also "model car guys" the same problems you are facing will arise. Many of them simply don't know enough about the hobby to discern the difference between factory built die-casts and hand built kits.

We have had several people try to enter die-casts over the years, (some that were purchased at the show and unboxed right in front of us). It is up to the staff to know what they are judging and not let people enter things that do not meet the criteria of the rules.

If you are unable to find a willing judge, I wonder if you could convince them to set it up kind of like the box stock category at a regular contest wherein you have to produce the kit instructions to prove the basis of this model came from a kit.

When I was a kid, we were strongly encouraged to bring the box, the instructions, and whatever was left of the decal sheet.

I forgot to mention that the model entries are not limited to just cars:

The categories include:

Automotive

Military

Airplanes (both civilian and military)

Ships

Rockets

Dioramas

Other

All scales are judged together, meaning that the 1:8 and 1:24 cars are judged against one another in the same category.

If you include a line on the entry forms to state what the kit manufacturer is you can weed out a lot of people who did not build what they are trying to enter. (You will need to know the subjects somewhat too.)

Also, if you engage the entrants in a little small talk when they are registering (how they built it, what kind of paints did they use, etc), you can tell who actually did the work...

If I may offer a suggestion, the only thing you can do is make the builders prove they built the model. Make them bring the box, the instructions, etc. The judges are a different matter. You can have bad judges no matter how hard you screen them.

Edited by Jim N

Cover my airfare and I'll do it.

You don't want Jim. He's real biased when it comes to shiny. :D

Seriously though, a stated rule change to eliminate pre-assembled/pre-painted diecasts would be a first step.

Second would be, like others have said, get some local club members (check the IPMS registry in your area) to judge.

Aside from all the great tips on finding qualified judges, I like the idea of making a simple rule: All entries must be submitted along with the box and instruction sheet. Or at the very least, the instruction sheet. Yeah, that still won't prove that the person who enters the model is the person who built the model... but at least it would prove that the model was a kit.

Again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!!!!

I'd love to hear more, so please feel free to post.

Jeff,

There's a LOT of guys in the Indy area that can help. There are two clubs based in Indy, and others that are fairly close. Finding help shouldn't be too difficult. And, as Charles said- you can start with me. Shoot me an e-mail if you like bfishburn@indy.rr.com

Email sent.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!