Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63-'64 Ford Galaxie 4dr?

I would be happy with either one or even the AMT '61 Ford Galaxie Styline kit.

I do have the 4dr resin kit from Model Round Up used to make the Mayberry Police car, but it's just too rough and sloppy.Door gaps to wide, door handles droopy.I could clean it up with some patient work and time but I'd rather put that into my own scratch build version.

Yates

Rowdy,

Starting in 1957 Ford offered two versions of the 4-door sedan; The Fairlane series was a hardtop and the Custom 300 was a sedan. By 1963 (or ’64) the Fairlane line was replaced with the Galaxie 500 and the Custom line by the Galaxie 300. What separates them is the fact that the 500 series cars are hardtops (no post when windows are rolled down) while the 300’s are sedans (full frames around the side window glass and a center post).

Ford sold over 39,000 Galaxie 500 4-doors! Most associate the Galaxie 300 with fleet use such as Taxi and/or as a Patrol car.

Galaxie4door.jpg

Either car would make a nice conversion project, the post less 500 being the easiest due to the lack of window frames to scratch build, while retaining the already molded side trim.

In any case… either car will require a donor roof to be found. The rear roof pillar is quite thick and more upright than the 2-door roof, a lot like the Thunderbird of the era…

The best source is the 1964 Fairlane, better know as the “Thunderboltâ€! Unfortunately that car is getting harder to find. Another option might be the Polar Lights/AMT ’64 Pontiac GTO but I think the rear window is a little too angled. AMT’s old 1965 Thunderbird roof would work fine if you have one!

Ok, lets say you found a donor roof… the next step is cutting off the old roof and attaching the new one but one problem is that the windshield is the wrong one! The 2-door Galaxie 500 used the convertible windshield frame, which is slightly lower. One would need to raise the windshield header slightly while attaching the new roof in order to be accurate. A lot of work!

Then, don’t forget to modify the interior door panels! That is really hard to do on these old one-piece “bucket†type interiors. You would be better off scratch building a new interior and sourcing new seats out of the newer AMT 1960 Ford “Starlinerâ€. ACTUALLY, Much of the “Starliner†engine compartment, drive train and chassis could be used on this project, which will give it a much higher level of overall detail!

Only thing that I can add is to do your research before anything else!

Here is a project I started a while ago… a ’61 Chevrolet Impala 4 door using a ’62 Pontiac Catalina roof.

61chev4door.jpg

Good luck! 8)

There are a few guys resin casting the '63 with the formal roof based on the promo. This version would make for a pretty easy conversion. Rusty Hess used to cast a very nice one but I'm not sure how to contact him. Should be able to find one on eBay. Ray Parsons at R&R resin probably makes all of the bodies you mentioned but the casting usually requires some work to clean up. -Jack

Jack,

Wecome aboard MCM Forums!

Yes, there are resin options available, however the beginning of this thread was the question about how to modify a plastic kit!

Myself, I would rather modify plastic than buy someone elses work.

And that's the fact Jack!

8)

Guys, I just remembered something. There is a kit that was released last year that has a great roof for this project! The AMT 1961 Ford Styline kit:

61styline.jpg

The kit above I am working on for an article in MCM. The subject: Roof swap! Because of this I happen to have this roof left over:

61roof.jpg

Want it?

8)

A bit of trivia: this roof piece is actually the SAME piece that was used as a backlite in the construction of the original Dodge Deora show truck.

Deora_roof.jpg

Cool huh?

That is CORRECT Glenn!

Give the man a quarter.... 1960 actually! Mustang taillight frames were used for the exhaust vents and Thunderbird taillights were embedded in the rear valance. It's a wonder they called this a Dodge in the first place?

:)