Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kind of car is this, and is there a kit of it?

I was watching "American Gangster" (the 2007 Denzel Washington movie), and at about 1 hr & 5 min into the movie there is a silver 2dr fastback, I know it's a Pontiac but I'm not sure what year or model. I thought it was a '67 Impala (because you see the roof first, the bottom part is blocked by another car). It's the part where the cop & his team are on the street and an orange BMW pulls up, a guy gets out of that and talks to another guy on the street, then leaves. The guy on the street then runs into the building and comes out with a bag, then runs across the street and gets into this car. The cops tail it for a little bit and then it parks. The grille is definitely a Pontiac grille (center divider with quad headlights, chrome, sort of like a '68-'69 GTO). The taillights were "L" shaped (but laid horizontally). I thought it was a Grand Prix but I'm not sure. I snapped a pic of it with my phone (sorry for the non HD quality): Lastly, is there a kit of this? I love it!

americangangstercar_zpsba98431b.jpg

Edited by TurboKitty

That's a '68. The quarter panel has the side marker lights, which were mandated to be standard starting with the 1968 model year.

There was a kit of it, but be prepared to pay big bucks for an original. It was a 1 year deal or an "annual" kit made by MPC. Decent buildups can be found on the 'Bay for a much more reasonable price.

Edited by MrObsessive

ok so it's a '68 Catalina? I did a quick search and this is definitely what the rear looked like:

7618695236_e9a5c8af44_z.jpg

But at the same time, I came across this picture and this is a '68 Bonneville, are they the same car but just a different trim level? They look identical to me:

air_ride_1968_bonneville_015.jpg

Thanks for your help guys, now I have to hunt this kit down :D

Edited by TurboKitty

The Bonneville sits on a longer wheelbase, and the rear quarters/trunk are longer. The car you first pictured definitely has the longer quarters and trunk so it's a Bonneville. MPC kitted the Bonneville.............I don't ever remember seeing a kit of the Catalina though.

Edited by MrObsessive

ok so this is the kit I need to save my pennies for? Or is there possibly a resin kit available? I see there's one on ebay for a little over $60, no doubt it will go higher though. Thanks again guys, with the big '60s cars sometimes I have trouble identifying a few lesser seen specimens...

HPIM0061-vi.jpg

1968 Bonnie, as stated above.

$85-125 or so for a good condition (just don't get caught in any crazy eBay bidding wars), unbuilt kit. $50-65 for a decent built up. There is some global competition for these, so sometimes they sell higher is eBay seller is listing it globally.

SOLD

SOLD

The cool thing about these kits is that they came with a lot of parts because they could be built as a mid-engine drag car too.

Here is the '67's instruction sheet showing the builds - which I am pretty sure was the same set up as the '68 (except the comsetic changes on the car).

IMG_4962.jpg

Edited by Erik Smith

Either way this is a kit that I don't have to have immediately, now that I know what to look for I'll no doubt get one eventually LOL.

Best way to do it. Keep your eyes pealed for "buy-it-nows", sometimes sellers want money now and sell a little lower than normal...save a search in eBay and you can get updates whenever one is listed (in case you weren't aware of that feature).

Good luck!

Yup! That's the one! I don't know of one in resin, but the originals are worth getting if you want one bad enough. If that's the one that's on eBay, yeah...........it'll probably fetch more than $60. ;)

Yes there is, or at least there was '68 Bonneville in Resin from R&R

Edited by khier