Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit with separate frame.

Can you guys suggest any 1:24/1:25 size kit that has separate frame? As where the frame isnt molded into the body? Looking for cars from the early 70s until mid 80s. As for ideal lenght i think the Avanti or AMC Pacer would be perfect.

But,any suggestions are welcome.

The latest years I can think of that would have a separate frame, would be AMT's 1966 Olds 442 kit. This would be a basic body on frame mid size chassis that GM would use through the '70's. When you get into the '80's you're about out of luck as most were starting to switch to unibody construction at that point.

There may be some others---------someone else may know more than I about other kits.

I am pretty certain that the Monogram 1957 Corvette has a separate frame. Although it's not in the time frame you list it seems it might be close to the length you are looking for. It should also be a relatively cheap kit if you need to buy one.

Monty: I thought my modeling skills was okay,but after looking at this forum i have come to the conclusion they are below average and then some :D . Thanks for the tip about the Monte Carlo.

Jim: I think 50s will work just fine and i will look into that Corvette. Thanks for the tip.

If i manage to shorten the frames,lenght does not really matter as long as we are talking a normal mid/full size car.

Tommy,

Here are a couple pics of the kit I am talking about. Monogram kit # 2227. The dollar bill is 6 inches long. Should be around 15cm???

I have since noticed that you are in Norway. The kit may be a bit pricey there.

post-10866-0-12520800-1364600723_thumb.j

post-10866-0-75729700-1364600749_thumb.j

A number of Modern Tool AMT kits have a Separate frame and Floor board.

57 Chevy Bel Air and Chryler 300, 58 EDSEL Pacer, 62 Thunderbird,

62 Bel Air/Impala SS convertible, hardtop & convert 66 Olds 442., and 66 Riviera

The 62 Impala/Bel Air and 66 Riv have a narrow 'X' frame. No side rails

Moebius' Hudson Hornet also has a separate frame. Not sure about their 55 Chrysler, but bet it does.

A number of Modern Tool AMT kits have a Separate frame and Floor board.

57 Chevy Bel Air and Chryler 300, 58 EDSEL Pacer, 62 Thunderbird,

62 Bel Air/Impala SS convertible, hardtop & convert 66 Olds 442., and 66 Riviera

The 62 Impala/Bel Air and 66 Riv have a narrow 'X' frame. No side rails

Moebius' Hudson Hornet also has a separate frame. Not sure about their 55 Chrysler, but bet it does.

Add the AMT '67 Impala to that list up top.

Tommy,

Here are a couple pics of the kit I am talking about. Monogram kit # 2227. The dollar bill is 6 inches long. Should be around 15cm???

I have since noticed that you are in Norway. The kit may be a bit pricey there.

Thanks for the pictures. Yes it look like it could be a good fit.

Problem is that close to every kit i buy i get 27 up to 45$ shipping on top of it. 10-12$ with tracking & insurance from Asia for comaprison..

I told the people from the US i deal with on ebay that i wont give anything less than 5stars or bad feedback even if the kit

get lost somewhere. This usually can give me shipping down to 17-18$. Dont see the point give them bad feedback just

because the post office somewhere screw up.

I measured and found out the 62 Impala is a perfect fit when it comes to lenght. Only need to shave off a little behind the rear axle.

This old AMT (62 Impala convvertible) do not have a separate frame,the floor is molded into the frame.