Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Corvette Corvair - Motorama Concept Car

Phildaupho

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

I first started reading about cars in my dad’s Popular Mechanics magazines. My favorite issues were the ones that featured new cars and especially concept cars. Trying to raise the profile of their year old Corvette, Chevrolet built three special versions – a hardtop with roll up windows, a Nomad station wagon and a fastback coupe they called the Corvair.

My model uses an R&D Unique Mini Exotic transkit mounted over an AMT chassis. I built it as a curbside as I have read no confirmation that the original even had an engine. The AMT Corvette sits very high requiring about a quarter inch of lowering. I took the easy route by channeling the body. The side-vents and exhaust outlet were opened up. Model Car Garage photo-etched headlight covers were swiped from an earlier C-1 build and aluminum tube exhausts were added. The real car has never re-surfaced and was probably cut up. The chassis may have been subsequently used under a stock Corvette.

The paint is Model Master Custom Lacquer System White Primer, Diamond Green, Emerald Green and Ultra Gloss Clear.

The R&D Unique Mini Exotic transkit was pretty good. There were a couple of thin areas but the body did not require too much clean up. I think the unique characteristics of the one of a kind Corvette Corvair were captured very well. The only real criticism I have is of vacuum formed windshield. Two windshields are provided but both fit poorly and had imperfections in the “glass” area

Edited by Phildaupho

I believe the motorama cars...namingly the corvette sudo clones like this and onther had the "fabulous" Chevy auto 6's whuch were notoriously under powered for the early Corvettes...When I was in high school I could have gotten one of these(54Vette) in peices for a whole $400.00. :P Thought it was over priced so I bought a 55 Olds convertable for $20,,,and drove it home.

Kenn :)