Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 57 caddy ?

CrazyGirl

This kit, correct?

revell-1957-cadillac-eldorado-brougham.j

No, it's not that great. It's a '60s era Revell kit, so lots of molded in detail underneath, a two-piece main body shell (with the "chassis" molded as one with the bottom half of the body), separate roof, and maybe 55 parts total.

Unless you must have it, don't get it.

I think it's 50s origin, think of it as a time capsule from the dawn of the plastic model kit hobby.

Not accurate but interesting....

Actually Luc,

The old Revell '57 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham is far more accurate than most people believe. Yes, it does lack a couple of detail features at the top of the front clip, and needs a scale 3" (1/8" or 3mm) stretch just ahead of the front wheel arch.

What most don't realize is, the Eldorado Brougham is actually a shorter, lower car than a standard '57 Cadillac.

Art

I dunno, , this kit was manufactured using 1955 technology. Yep, it's a MULTI- PIECED BODY!!!!!!!!! However , it featured Separate chrome trim. Yes, there are a couple of gaps in the lower half where the upper body mates to the lower body and chassis . Hey, I was able to work around the fit .

The real issue is this . ARE YOU A PLASTIC ASSEMBLER , OR , ARE YOU INDEED A "REAL " MODEL BUILDER ? One of these kits will determine that. Just also remember that every time you yearn for a I M C - TESTORS- UNION Ford GT-40 kit too.................................

The defense now rests you're honor ^_^

The real issue is this . ARE YOU A PLASTIC ASSEMBLER , OR , ARE YOU INDEED A "REAL " MODEL BUILDER ?

Ed, with a little TLC and some basic modeling skills, this kit can be built to look fantastic. Yeah, it's definitely not state of the art as far as detail and parts count, but it can build into a very nice shelf model. Multi-piece bodies shouldn't scare anyone off. After all, it's a model kit! You have to put everything else together, what's the big deal if you also have to put the body together? Multi-piece bodies shouldn't scare any modeler with average skills.

I have this model and tried to "accurize" it many years ago when my skills weren't what they are now. I also have Franklin Mints diecast, but the door hinges on that one are so out of scale, it borders on being a caricature of what it's supposed to represent. I have a notion to kitbash both of them............use a corrected Revell body, and use the rest of the Franklin Mint diecast to make a decent replica.

I'd love to do a very rare color offered then (1958 I believe), "Maharani Maroon". Yeah, as Art mentioned, they shared nothing with the standard Caddies of 1957-58------and at $13,000 brand new they well shouldn't have! :o

Here's a pic I ran across of a '57...........

5020739382_737225fd67_z.jpg

wow that is one sweet candy red caddy there! i love those eyelids over the headlamps and just all the detail on the front grille. i had no idea this was a separate car or anything because i was never that attracted to the cadillacs, but that one there is a real jewel.

edit to ask: those are one piece alloy wheels on it? my friend rick estrin had some factory alloys on his 55 or 56 eldorado.

Edited by jbwelda

Harry I agree with your last post 100%. My favorite era though are the revell kits from the 80's ill fitting parts and 2 piece tires.

I say buy the kit and build it just another model just with a bit more work to do.

The wheels are actually two piece with a hub cap in the center. The outer wheel is steel and the insert is a one piece casting which was aluminum alloy which was then riveted to the outer wheel. They first appeared on the 55 eldorado and sevilles. They could be had in gold anodized or in chrome plating. They were made by kelsey hayes or youll find alcoa stampings as well. I have a set on my 56 coupe de ville and on my 53 sedan. They are really nice wheels. The imex caddies have very nice renditions of the sabre wheels.

Edited by azers

Were some of them fuel Injected ?

I seem to remember one at a local show several years ago that was FI

I have always liked the late 50's fin cars , and this one is no exception.

Anyone have pictures of one of them done and/or in process ?

Were some of them fuel Injected ?

I seem to remember one at a local show several years ago that was FI

I have always liked the late 50's fin cars , and this one is no exception.

Anyone have pictures of one of them done and/or in process ?

I don't think Cadillac fitted either the '57's or '58's with an FI setup. What you might have seen was a setup from another car. With the price as high as it was back then it would have been fitting, but GM was having trouble from the get-go with FI equipped cars including the 'Vettes.

I had one started long ago, but I don't know what happened to it. It's in the attic somewhere (maybe) and in a million pieces. If I run across it, I'll post it here. I do remember doing quite of bit of reshaping to get the proportions right, and I hinged the doors with the center "lock" holding the doors shut.

This is from the Corvette Forum...

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Back in the early 50s, when Ed Cole was chief engineer of Cadillac, Cadillac was the leader of technology for GM. At that time, John Dolza was an up and coming engineer and had done a ton of research on fuel injection (Dolza was actually the engineer who developed FI for GM). When Cole left Cad, their leadership in technology diminished. I suspect that ORIGINALLY, plans were to offer FI as an option on Cads. Mike hunt (anyone remember his Research Project 56/57) is the person who uncovered the manufacture of the five 57 Cad FI units. Where they are, whether they got put on production cars, whether they were development/prototype units, whether there were, or are, any pictures of a Cad FI unit I don't know. ONLY Chev and Pont sold PRODUCTION cars with an FI option. Pont dropped the option after 58, Chev dropped the option after 59 on pass cars and finally dropped it on Vettes after 65.
So, I'm simply curious if ANY photos exist of those 5 Cad FI units. It is not out of the realm of possibility that they did exist, because Cads did have 2x4 carbs available for 55-57 cars, so why not FI?.

I'd be curious to see that as well...........makes sense that Cadillac would have headed up something like that as it was seen as somewhat "exotic" technology back then.

It may have have been that the setup was seen as more of a high performance sort of thing, and that's not what Caddy was about back in those days. Not that they were bad performers for the size that they were-------just that Cadillac didn't see the need to put that sort of thing into production IMO.

IIRC, Cadillac was the one of the first American makes to reintroduce FI back into production cars in the '70's. Didn't the then new for 1976 Cadillac Seville have FI as standard equipment?

Yup, and the Mopar Bendix version was electronic. I actually saw one when I was a little kid, in the parking lot at a Howard Johnson's restaurant. There was a 'black box',

like a radio, that was the EFI brain. The car wouldn't start, which is why it was opened up. Fairly common (failures) apparently. The system went on to become the basis for the successful Bosch solid-state EFI system of the '60s.

GM's FI units were all based on the Rochester mechanical system, again if I recall correctly.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy