69 GTX, medium blue metallic *Finished*

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know i have many models to finish up. But after seeing the many late 60's b-body threads on here, i had to pick up one. I got a 69 GTX. I was going to do it up like my old 68 GTX i had. But couldn't find the correct color locally. So i'm just going to make this a pretty much box stock with a few details extra. It will be a 440 car with no air grabber, and will get the recall wheels with redline tires probably. It will be a med blue met, with a blue int. and no hood stripes..

Here is the start of the project. Just one picture though.

modelcars_001_459136.jpg

Edited by JasonC

Posted · Report post

nice paint.

Posted · Report post

A very sharp color.......

Posted · Report post

I like the color too.

Posted · Report post

Awesome color, I like it... :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

I lovem in blue! Bring on some more!

Posted · Report post

Thanks, its a dupli color paint. Don't recall the name, just grabbed it due to I liked the color! Ordered some blue flocking for the carpet, but this will probably be the only picture for this weekend. I should be able to do more to it though the week though.

Posted · Report post

my 97 raptor model is that duplicolor blue.

Posted · Report post

Looks NICE !!

1968 blue was most-likely UU1 ; 1969 would be EB7 or EB5 (I emphasised the "E" because "B5" and "B7" changed *frequently* ; 1971= GB5 / GB7 ; 1976 = MB5 / MB7 ...) .

I can't remember the color code that my 68 was, but I think it was called frost green maybe. I've had a couple of 70 Darts and they where EB7 blue. This blue here is pretty close to it.

Edited by JasonC

Posted · Report post

Looking around to see what these could of came with and noticed one could get a white stripe instead of red. So i think i'm going to go different with white instead of the red that came with the kit.

69_Belvedere0005.jpg

Posted · Report post

Blurry picture, but trying out the white stripe. Also painted the chassis. Wasn't to for sure how neat Mopar was when spraying the black on the bottom of the car, so i put some over spray onto the underneath of it.

modelcars_001_891296.jpg

modelcars_002_510772.jpg

Posted · Report post

Credible so far.

Charlie Larkin

Posted · Report post

nice progress Jason

Posted · Report post

nice

Posted · Report post

Noob question... Where are you guys getting your prewired distributors at?

Posted · Report post

Did a little more to it. Was nice outside and i enjoyed my real car other then sitting inside. But did work on it some.

chrome foiled

modelcars_001_810150.jpg

started to detail the engine bay. and engine (yes the manifolds are an orange, i tryed to make them look like the paint was burning off of them since thats how factory was) and started on the chassis.

modelcars_007_667297.jpg

The int i just got everything sitting in it. But think i'm going to get a dull coat to cover the seats.

modelcars_005_478485.jpg

Thats all for now, thanks for looking.

Posted · Report post

Very nice, like the colour

Posted · Report post

Awesome, love the details on the undercarriage. Kutgw!

Posted · Report post

Good call on the white pinstripe on the rocker panels , Jason !

I noticed that you added a power brake setup instead of the kit's non-assist master cylinder ; is that the setup from the Revell-Monogram '68 / '69 Dart ?

I like what you did with the exhaust manifolds ; that's spot-on ! Personally , I've always painted the manifolds in Gunze's Burnt Iron , then "dusted" them at an angle with engine colour .

Keep up that great work on your 'X' !

started to detail the engine bay. and engine (yes the manifolds are an orange, i tryed to make them look like the paint was burning off of them since thats how factory was) and started on the chassis.

modelcars_007_667297.jpg

Jason, I'm going to make a suggestion that will improve the look of your engine & help you with future builds as well. While I can certainly respect someone making their own distributor & adding spark plug wires, the size of the wires can have an effect on how accurate a given model looks. In your case, the plug wires look to be the size of battery cables. Here's a recent thread on determining the correct size of wiring to use for this: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56674&hl=wiring

In answer to your question about preassmbled cap & wire kits, a lot of us

use these guys. http://www.madmodeling.com/store/ccp0-catshow/distributors.html

Again, I hope you'll take this as a helpful suggestion instead of seeing it as criticism.

I like how you're doing the exhaust manifolds and the engine bay. Can't wait to see it finished!

Edited by Monty

Posted · Report post

Yep, the brake set up is from the 68/69 dart. And this is my first try for the wire setup. I used phone wire. Cause I seen that site on here the other day when looking around. I seen the price of one and just decided to try to make my own. And I'm always open for criticism :) They are on the thick side though...

Posted · Report post

Yep, the brake set up is from the 68/69 dart. And this is my first try for the wire setup. I used phone wire. Cause I seen that site on here the other day when looking around. I seen the price of one and just decided to try to make my own. And I'm always open for criticism :) They are on the thick side though...

I'll give you this: at least you get how plug wires lay. I've seen a lot of "angry spider" wiring setups over the years.

Posted · Report post

I can't remember the color code that my 68 was, but I think it was called frost green maybe. I've had a couple of 70 Darts and they where EB7 blue. This blue here is pretty close to it.

this GTX is looking killer, beautiful paint, love the same color interior. that was done alot more than people think.

side note - i had a 69 hemi runner that was F5 (frost green metalic) w/ 2 tone green interior, bench seat, 4 speed car. origional owner street raced, said he wanted something that was "unseeable" as he put it.

Posted · Report post

I'll give you this: at least you get how plug wires lay. I've seen a lot of "angry spider" wiring setups over the years.
Thanks, but I think I am going to look around some more for thinner wire to use.
this GTX is looking killer, beautiful paint, love the same color interior. that was done alot more than people think. side note - i had a 69 hemi runner that was F5 (frost green metalic) w/ 2 tone green interior, bench seat, 4 speed car. origional owner street raced, said he wanted something that was "unseeable" as he put it.
That's pretty much how my GTX was. But it was 440 auto with no options what so ever. Man steering, man brakes. AM radio, but it did have a light package. Some lady school teacher bought it brand new.