Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Help "ID"ing Kit Monogram 50s Hotrod

My grandpa has 1 just like this in his basement missing only the steering wheel and only the drive is assemble this is the only picture i can find of the kit on the internet The website called it P2 “The Hot Rod”. What happened to the mold and how many re releases did it see? Me and my grandpa are interested in finding out has had it since he was an orphan never put it together. Its molded in blue. Not a drop of paint on the kit.

p2-hot-rod.JPG

Man, that's a cool one. I'm about 99.5% sure you have the very first 1954 issue of this one, re-released multiple times. 1_ac206cf6c2f20dd25e0b3d50103c07e5.jpgMonogram P1 was the somewhat overscale 1/24 Midget kit. Later Hot Rod box-art is pictured just below. The later releases I have

are molded in dark maroon styrene, with black tires.

f6a1_32e8.jpg?c=f621

32_ford_roadster.jpg

Though the re-release says it's a '32, it's not at all accurate, and the body shell is closer to a '30, but it's a cool old kit anyway. Just to be sure, is yours 1/24 roughly, with a 2-piece body split down the middle ?

Here's a link to an article on early Monogram history...

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/a-brief-history-of-monogram-plastic-model-kits/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The original was acetate - is it warped?

That is cool. I love the good feel graphics -everybody is so happy!

Early P2 Hot Rod kits were acetate, but it was later molded in styrene. It did form the basis for the PC-55 Dragstrip Hot Rod that was issued around 1959. That kit was reissued in an original-style box in the SSP program probably close to 20 years ago.

dscn3045.jpg

This is a built P2 Hot Rod from my collection. It's styrene and all molded in blue plastic. I've seen others that have some parts molded in dark blue and other parts in off white.

dscn3053.jpg

This is the Dragstrip Hot Rod that I built from the SSP kit when it came out.

I would guess 1956. That's the copyright date on the second version box (the one shown above with the red hot rod and the house in the background) and the few unbuilt/started kits I've seen in that box have been styrene. I'm pretty sure the kit was first released in 1954, and the couple of those that I've seen in the smaller/simpler box were molded in acetate.