Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/ERTL 59 El Camino

kk916

My post count has been getting up around here so I figured I'd better post my latest project, an AMT/ERTL 1959 El Camino.

So Far all thats been done is a shaving of the door handles, fixing the warped rockers, fixing the insdie of the beds gaps (still in progress) and cleaning up some factory bumps and whatnot. If anyone has any comments or suggestions feel free.

DSCN3674.jpg

Edited by kk916

Basic plans for it are to be a mild custom, just kind of things that make people wonder if they came that way or not. Shaved emblems, smoothed bed sides, shaved door handles...etc..etc... The body will be the same color as the engine block, I'd love to do a white roof on it but for a first model in a long time I figure a simple one color paint job will be the best till I get back into the swing of things so I'm not sure at this point.

As for how long it has been, I'd say like 5 or 6 years is all. I've gotten so busy being in school and working that I haven't had a chance to do the things I love (or did love) doing.I've got a background in Auto Body and have built several custom 1:1 cars for myself and I'm a fine art major so I figured it was time to get back into things and put what I know to good use. :huh:

Its always nice to see a '59 ElCamino project. I agree with the mild custom route, getting rid of the trim is cool, less to BMF in my book. Condider doing the roof in white again, especially with some pearl thrown into the clear which would really set it off.

Bob

I had 2 '59 El Camino's over the years, and did nothing to either of them. One I used for parts including the chassis for a '49 Merc I built. Believe it or not, with very very little work, that chassis fits on that shell like a glove.

Then my second, I was going to construct, but it sat on my work desk for some time, while I got a Chevelle El Camino, which I sectioned and now trying to complete.

I sold the second '59 just because I didn't have an inspiration to go crazy on it. That is until I looked at your photo......

so here goes.........

Shorten the bed behind the rear wheel well, enlarge the rear well, do a mild section to it, cut off the roof to make a convertible'roadster pickup, put large sound system in the bed, get the biggest honkiest 454Chev big block with the biggest darn intake system, then roll the front pans, blend in the rear bumper, paint it silver metallizer pearl with light purple/violet scallops. See, your picture just inspired my otherwise bovine spirit and came up with an unreal model, only if I had the skills to carry that one out.

just a thought..............

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm Sort of back to work on this one.

I'm out of my cast so I can do a little bit of work. I'm in the process of doing a custom bed on it, but I'm having structure issues. I'm trying to make the sides of the bed come down at a curve from the top of the bed and over the stock wheel wells. The problem I am having is getting the styrene to shape to match the curve I want. Anyone have any tips on an "easy" way to do this? my main problem is just getting them to stay in the same place long enough to dry. <_<

• 1 month later...

Since I'm finally out of my cast I decided to get back to work on this project. I was dremeling a seam off the other day and had a pretty nasty accident right by the rear fin, I ended up buying another kit to replace the body.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the hole where the blower sticks threw as an option on the hood? I think I can do it, I just don't want to do more work if I mess it up or there is an easier way. (guess I have a spare at this point but still)

P1130014.jpg

This looks like the color your going with and this will have a white roof too :lol:
I'm using "Model Master 2965 Turquoise" for the main color, it does look the same as yours, great minds think alike I guess. :lol: For the white top I'm using " Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White" I hope I dont have any issues with the two different paints. :lol:

Well done with getting back into the hobby!

Shame about your arm. Hope it's getting better quickly.

I'm a big fan of this kit. I've done 1 already (you replied to that post), but I think I'll do another as soon as I've built the others I've got on the shelf (57 chevy, Revell 49 merc, Impala lowrider, stock Impala and the ubiquitous 32 Ford)

Keep the progress pics comin'!

cheers!

I'm using "Model Master 2965 Turquoise" for the main color, it does look the same as yours, great minds think alike I guess. ;) For the white top I'm using " Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White" I hope I dont have any issues with the two different paints. :lol:

Have you ever used Future? you can seal it then paint :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

You can't spray Tamiya over Testors without trouble, I've been told. Tamiya being lacquer, Testors Enamel...

And the lighter color should be painted first, too. It makes it easier in the end because you don't need as many coats, thus a high paint buildup....

I'm kind of ashamed to admit I've never finished a 59 El Camino ;) What with it being in a 4-way tie for my all time favorite vehicle....I really gotta! I've started three though and robbed another for a resin donor, though. I have a mild custom painted Tamiya Pearl Green that I could probably have finished in a week's work, I just don't want to do all that BMF, so it sits! LOL! (It's got it all, but lowered/raked with Cragars)

That light blue Turquiosey color is a great choice! I've seen a 60 (actually, the ONLY 60 I've ever seen in person) in a very, very simiar shade of blue...Very Period Correct.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna have to give the "future" a shot next time around, sounds like a good product.

Not much to update on but I did cut the hole out of the hood for the air scoop to stick threw. Not sure which motor I'm going with yet, so I'll try them both. Thats one good thing about having two of the same kit ;)

P2100002.jpg

Love those '59's!!!!!!!!! :lol: I did an El Camino a few years ago in the stock Crown Sapphire and SNowcrest White colour scheme - bare metal foiled it and it looked good! I used real 1:1 auto paints - laquer based primer and acrylic enamel colour coats. That model mat a sad end in a moment of frustration (sighs ) - I have been tempted to do another one the same and may do so one day once I get my toy room set up this year. I prefer the stock look myself but I am sure seeing a lot of talent on these pages regardless of whether the kit is done stock or what ever. Your El Camino should look sweet... keep up the good work. Gary :lol::P

• 2 weeks later...