Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buying My First Airbrush (or Compressor) Questions.

I use a Pasche VL duel action air brush, which I purchased over 20 years ago, and have replaced 1 x 50 cent o'ring

in all that time, I pull it apart after every session, and leave the parts in a jar of thinners until I need it next time.

It is the best thing I ever brought, as it opens up the whole color spectrum, as you can mix and match anything

you already have in the cans. And you can also play around with shading and muli-color paint schemes too.

And after a few goes, you do get the hang of it, and then find your self playing around with different pressure, for different effects.

What you can do with an air brush is only limited by your imagination, not by what is available in a can.

I do recommend though, stay away from cheap ones.

(Just my own personal opinion ).

Most of the badger line of airbrushes are excellent! I love my badger and hardly ever use the cheap one, but at a price tag of 100$+ it's not a bad idea to start with something with a lower price tag. Again I have no doubt that anyone who goes cheap and loves airbrushing will find themselves getting a better one, however even going cheap you are looking at the 200$ range to do any real painting of you are starting at ground zero. If you start up and find you don't have, facilities, or just plain don't enjoy airbrushing you are now only out 2 bills. Going with the quality out the gate your looking at the same 2 bills for the brush itself.

If you have the money to spend and are pretty certain you will enjoy it and stick with then yes the quality brush is a good purchase, if your starting from nothing and have a tight toy budget or think there isa chance your outfit will sit and collect more dust then use then start cheap and move up from there.

It was suggested to me when I started airbrushing to buy a cheap Harbor Freight set up. I did...and I was frustrated, because as mush as I practices, I could not get consistent results. When I posted on line about my frustrations, I was told get a descent compressor and a descent airbrush. It made ALL the difference. If you are going to start airbrushing, buy the good stuff up front.

I have a Badger 175 and when it broke, Badger replaced it for free. Parts are plentiful. I also have a Campbell Hausefeld 2 gallon compressor. They make a nice one gallon that you can get at Wal Mart for under 50 bucks.

One tip someone gave me, which really helped when I was starting off. If you back the pin out just a little on the the Badger, it will operate as a single action. It will help to get used to how to operate a dual action airbrush.

Once you start you'll never look back. But my advice, based on my own experience, is to get the quality stuff up front. Not that harbor Freight is junk, but I was not able to get the same results form a higher quality product for my Badger, or I'm sure one of the other names mentioned. I'm definitely a badger guy.

Jeff above is right that things will be easier while learning with better equipment, it's all a matter of what you can afford or want to spend.

I totaled up my cost from ground zero with the cheap option at around 140$ give or take. Had I purchased my badger as well the figure would be more like 290$ if this a reasonable investment for your life then it's the better way to go, but if this type of expense is a little difficult the cheap option with the up graded o-rings and a good pressure regulator will work just fine.

I have had allot of airbrushes. I currently own 2 Iwatas and 2 Neo for Iwatas(trigger action) and a Paasche Talon and Paasche Millenium. I love them all and use them all but the best value because it is a set with three sizes that should cover all your needs is the Paasche Talon TG3-F set. It is currently $102 on Amazon. It has a pre-set needle limiter so you can get a consistent spray pattern like a single action. The parts are very sturdy and easy to find.

51V6VnRML%2BL.jpg

Edited by 935k3

Dale that is a great deal and a great suggestion, I wish I would have found it before I got my outfit.

With this set up you could get everything you need for under 300$ if you don't already have a compressor and have great quality at the same time.

Sidney I'm still very new to airbrushing but personally I use av fine needle in my badger, I love it I can get super fine lines (when I'm lucky I'm still learning to control my trigger) and I can still cover a large enough area. In the cheapo I what is claimed to be done but is the same as a medium in the badger. I use it for covering large areas. This had been working well for me.

Carb cleaner, right out of the can. Spray copious amounts of it through the supplied 'little red tube', into the paint inlet on the brush, while shooting bursts of air through the brush. I also flush through the trigger opening, again while working the trigger, and I flush the outer brush body, and the front orifice . I learned this trick, many years ago, doing custom paint at a local body shop. I have done this for years, with various types / brands of airbrushes; haven't seen any break down of the airbrush parts yet..........'Z'

Just a quick note. The size of needle and orifice on your brush isn't about the spray pattern, it is to allow you to use different paints. Different types and manufactures of paints grind the pigments in their paints to different sizes and they need to be able to flow through the brush smoothly to atomize correctly. Inks use the smallest particles and house paints seem to be the largest. Some paints just won't work in a given brush no matter how much you thin them. The size of the particles in the paint will determine the size needle and orifice you need to use. You need to try them to see what works best with the paint you plan on using.

What size needles are you folks using?

For general work, either the Revolution CR (gravity) .5mm, or Revolution BCR (siphon) .5mm. For areas where I don't want a lot of overspray and a tighter, smaller spread, a Badger Krome (gravity) .35mm.

I suggest you not buy something smaller than .5mm - even though the industry is touting smaller and smaller nozzles, it does us little good to use a "detail" airbrush when you want to cover a car's body!

Just a quick note. The size of needle and orifice on your brush isn't about the spray pattern, it is to allow you to use different paints. Different types and manufactures of paints grind the pigments in their paints to different sizes and they need to be able to flow through the brush smoothly to atomize correctly. Inks use the smallest particles and house paints seem to be the largest. Some paints just won't work in a given brush no matter how much you thin them. The size of the particles in the paint will determine the size needle and orifice you need to use. You need to try them to see what works best with the paint you plan on using.

I thank you very much for this tid bit of info. I was not aware of this. I was always under the impression that the needle size effected the diameter of the spray. Based on the fact that you adjust the area of coverage by how close or far you are to the surface your painting what you said males a lot of sense.

I don't know much about master brand, but I would recommend buying American made, and not support a communist country whenever possible lol, Badger or Paasche both have very affordable stuff available at Michael's or hobby lobby and you can use your coupons etc and have a quality product

I use a Badger Patriot 105 with a .4 and a .5 needle. And also the trusty Paasche H

Edited by JTRACING

Always use a large needle when shooting pearls, polys or metallics too. Shooting a MCW poly color through a .25 needle will probably end up with a lot of spitting and the airbrush will not work again until it has been recleaned at least three times. (Man that flake can hide in the darndest places!)... at least that's what I heard from a friend... Not like I did that myself shooting a Plum Crazy Poly GTX... :blink:

Airbrush was okay, but I had to take it all apart and clean it several times before I finally got it working again. Still use the same airbrush 25 years later!

I was just looking at the Master that was mentioned. From the look of the nozzle and needle assembly, I suspect it is a Badger knock off. If you are seriously considering it, look on line for a badger. It seems that they can be had for not a lot more money. This way you get a known source with a reputation for quality and a ready supply of parts, should you need them. My first serious airbrush was a Badger Crescendo 175. I used the heck out of it until I clumsily broke it. It laid in a drawer for 10 years until a short time ago when I was at Coast Air Brush and they told me to bring it in. I did and it is now repaired for under $35 and is back in the stable. It works well along with the 3 other brushes I have. Each has a purpose. The Badger is a good general machine for a starter. It has good control and will work well for general model paint. It also has Teflon seals so if you are going to use solvent based paint like lacquers, they will hold up for ever. By the way my other brushes are two Tamiyas and an Iwata. Each has a purpose and gets used frequently.

My suggestion:

Badger 250 spray gun, about $25.

Harbor Freight "pancake" air compressor, $40-50 with the coupon.

Hose/air drier/fittings: about $20. You'll need a 1/4"-3/8" adapter for a Badger or Paasche, and a quick-connect for the compressor-to-drier connection.

You're on your way. The 250 isn't fancy at all, but it's idiot-proof and works great for painting large areas.

I also have a Paasche H I need to get a new needle and cone for. Nice airbrush, but they clog easily and can be a bit tough to clean from what I've seen.

I like Steve's carb cleaner idea, I might try that. I've had good luck with back-flushing the airbrush, too. Put your finger on the nozzle, and start spraying. It'll flush the thinner through the airbrush completely. Take it apart to dry it and and wipe it down after, if you need to. If you get a Paasche or any Badger beyond a 250, I'd recommend doing that every time.

Either way, you have a nice little compressor that can do all kinds of stuff around the house for short money.

Charlie Larkin

Im lookin for a badger quick dissconect for my badger 105 and up here in the great white north of Canada all my local hobby shops tell me its not listed anymore ?? Ive found some online such as evel bay but they want just as much for shipping as the items worth anybody know of any places that dont want your first born for shipping rates lol

Im lookin for a badger quick dissconect for my badger 105 and up here in the great white north of Canada all my local hobby shops tell me its not listed anymore ?? Ive found some online such as evel bay but they want just as much for shipping as the items worth anybody know of any places that dont want your first born for shipping rates lol

I keep preaching about Coast Airbrush! These guys have everything including quality advise. Don't know what shipping is to the great white north but it can't be all that bad. Here is a link to their badger quick disconnect page.http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=305

CAUTION! USING THIS LINK COULD RESULT IN MONEY DEPARTING YOUR WALLET AT AN ALARMING PACE! VIEW WITH CAUTION! :lol:

Amazon and chicagoairbrushsupply.com have lower prices than coastairbrush or anybody else. Both have free shipping.

"Both have free shipping"... is not really true - especially for a single small part. Amazon requires a minimum $35 order for their free shipping, and Chicago Airbrush offers free shipping on $99 purchases, which includes most airbrushes. However, if any of these three offer "First Class Mail" for shipping a small part like this, that's about as cheap as it can get.

See my rant on "What annoyed you today" about free anything. There ain't no such animal! Shipping may be included in the price but, the Post Office/UPS/FexEx or any other freight company doesn't take the day off and not charge anyone today! It just don't happen. You are paying for the shipping some how. Free means no money comes out of your pocket. Just because it isn't on the invoice doesn't mean it is free. Someone is paying the shipper. ;) Ok, I'm done. Soapbox is put away for now.

• Xingu changed the title to Buying My First Airbrush (or Compressor) Questions.