Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 willys roadster

brett

Our club is having a convert a convertible night in May, so you can make a kit thats never been produced as a convertible into one, or a convertible thats never been a hardtop/coupe into one. So .......one that caught my eye online a couple years ago was a swoopy willys roadster.So since the only time I'd build something like this is for a theme like this here go's. Off with the roof (strangely enough :D ) sectioned the hood and filled the hole. the bit behind the seats is from the Old AMT 58 Impala (tounneu sp cover) severly sectioned then narrowed and seats are out of (I think ) the Revell 37 Ford coupe. Will have at this stage , the Fuel injected small block chev from the Testors Boyds coupster.
DSCF8451_zps70e37dba.jpg
DSCF8452_zps5a043e1e.jpg
DSCF8453_zps966cd701.jpg
DSCF8462_zps9b98c4ba.jpg
DSCF8463_zpsbc2db1a6.jpg
Once I'm happy with the area behind the seat tops ,I'll work on laying back the headlight area of the front guards for some carraera headlights.

thanks guys , color leaning towards yellow with graphics or a red metallic or pearl.Wheels undecided as yet other than they will have spokes possibly also the ones from the smoothster/ coupster. Cut the headlights off the guards at a bit of an angle, didnt go to extreme then put plates over the holes. Once its all set up nice and strong I'l blend them in. Was a bit disappointed with the Porsche headlights as they're only a clear lens. I'll have to foil under and around them
DSCF8482_zps0522ebf9.jpg

thanks Doug, I like the bulges behind your seats, kinda wish I'd done that.mocked up the engine and some wheels after a bit more bogging and sanding and a bit more bogging. going to use the Boyds smoothster set as a: they big and little's and :b they fit a little better
2010 camaro wheels
DSCF8483_zps9d3c4ca1.jpg
Boyds wheels
DSCF8484_zps318f3d2b.jpg
Pegasus Phat daddies 23's, might have used these if I had some 19's for the front but 23's are too big
DSCF8485_zpsa64e645a.jpg
how the engine looks
DSCF8486_zpsa63da733.jpg

That is looking great, Brett. I like the choice of seats. They fill out the interior well and they have a rounded profile that fits well with the roundness of the car. I wish that I had some cash, I would swap you some 19 inch Phat Daddys for your 23 inch fronts. I'm sure I have a pair of them here. I have one recommendation. I would add a bit of strip plastic to the front of the rear fender wells to fill them out a bit and make them follow the curvature of the rest tires a bit. I never liked how thin the front of the rear fenders were on the Willys. Looking great though and keep it up. I'll be following this one.

Later-

looking really sweet Bret. going to be a real nice ride. i have one of these slated and am doing a 40 ford also so i will be stealing ideas.... i mean watching what you come up with.

WHAT ?????????????? Thats thats thats cool man. If I can inspire someone with what I do, it makes it all worthwhile to me.

Thanks Dennis

Thanks Tom, great idea re the rear fenders.

Mike, thanks and yes I did consider it but then commonsense kicked in. I only have a few weeks to build this and the weather is turning down here.

Jeffrey, thanks, Motor is out of the Testors, Boyds Smoothster. Whereabouts in the country are you? I'm 25ks south of Hamilton.

Thanks Paul, apparently theres quite a few of these out there, I'd only seen one model one before I posted mine.

Thanks Blair, you do some very cool work yourself.

brett,

as much as i have always loved the willys coupes, and would really scowl at anyone who said the coupe body should be messed with, this thing is COOL! can't wait to see it finished. color me breathlessly awaiting the final product!

dave

thanks Doug, I like the bulges behind your seats, kinda wish I'd done that.mocked up the engine and some wheels after a bit more bogging and sanding and a bit more bogging. going to use the Boyds smoothster set as a: they big and little's and :b they fit a little better

Brett, I like what you did with yours, wish I had thought of using a modified tounneu cover. I sectioned in the rear deck of a Mustang Mach III for mine. I know its a lot of work, but it's looking great. Can't wait to see it in paint. I like the Boyds too, you don't see them on Willys builds, it will be different.

thanks guys, reshaped the rear wheel openings a little, then opened and hinged the trunk, made gutters for the rain it will never see to run off in and got the chassis all together.
DSCF8500_zps3d8919b0.jpg
DSCF8501_zps133636f7.jpg
DSCF8504_zps6835aa57.jpg
DSCF8502_zps8a21432d.jpg
also put valves in all the tires. Do you think the yellow's bright enough?

Brett, that is looking sweet!! would anyone be interested in starting a community build for these roadsters? if we can get enough, i will start one in the community build section. see what you have gone and done Brett, now i have to go find my 40 !!

stall one project, kickstart another. what a visious circle!!!