Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 Dodge pickup mild kustom

Hey folks,

This is part two to "Slowly's 77' Van" more or less- my entry into our 'let's actually finish a project' challenge :P

It's AMT's Li'l Red Express. Not the best kit I've come across when it comes to fitment, but otherwise a cool starting point I suppose. Hey, it's a Mopar, it can't be all bad :D

AMT31938LilRed_zps1f9d0f70.jpg

A quick mock-up in terrible lighting conditions; this is what we're working with-

P1040141_zpsab7c0df3.jpg

Now, to be truly worthy of a 'k', I figured the cab needed to be introduced to my razor saw. As you can see, they got along quite well, and the result was a scale 3" section. It was my first attempt at major bodywork, so be nice :lol:

P1040152_zps035bdf52.jpg

P1040159_zpsfe73f0db.jpg

A mild chop a little later on, and I think it'll be safe to call it a kustom. :D

Partly because I wasn't particularly fond of the stock grille, and partly because the stock grille will no longer fit. I started fabbing up something new to catch all the bugs. Things are going slowly, but it's starting to resemble a grille. I think...

Here's the frame in its rough state-

P1040237_zps2570ac46.jpg

Still needs a bit of work, a few details, and some massaging, but the basic shapes are there. Not sure if I'm happy with it yet, I'll see how it looks once the headlights are further along-

P1040713_zpsf19d7c51.jpg

Also, I started swapping the wheel over to a more user-friendly location, considering my location :lol:
I haven't grabbed a pic since I cleaned up all the filler and other nasty bits-

P1040240_zps7717190d.jpg

Well, that's where I'm at so far. Thanks for stopping by for a look, and make sure you check out Slowlylearning's part of the fun- http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73191

More soon, as time allows :D

You both have some really cool customs going on. As for you, I'm not sure I would call this build "mild" ahaha. Your doing some intense chopping but it's going to look mean when done. Liking that scratch built grill, keep it going, I'll be watching both builds.

:lol: I know KC, I've been a bit slack on the pics. I've filled the cut lines from the section, and finished off the dash conversion, but I decided it's not really update-worthy.

Currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Modelhaus Sweptline bed :D . I'm contemplating starting a new chassis for it, but until I know the length of the new bed I can't do much there.

I still have the roof chop to do anyway, in the meantime. And finishing off the grille. And sorting out an interior. And engine. So yea, plenty to keep me going while I wait, one thing at a time :P

Interresting take on this 70's Dodge! Do you will shop the top?

Thanks José, I am planning on chopping the top just a little yes :D

how about a 69/70 dodge superbee grill. a nice custom body drop too .

Thanks for the suggestions Todd B) I still haven't made up my mind on the grille, so I will mentally jot that idea down. And I think I will drop it mildly too, thanks :D

Thanks heaps Jason, I appreciate you following my builds B)

Thanks Richard, Bill and KC, hopefully we'll see some photos soon ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with fresh motivation thanks to the new bed's arrival, I dived into this again over the weekend.

I've started the the next section. Here's what we're starting with-

P1040785_zps93addad2.jpg

I decided the best way to go about it was to remove the sides, so off they came. Here they are all marked up for cutting-

P1040796_zpsbae8021a.jpg

And mocked up-

P1040798_zps3a440b44.jpg

Next step, filling those cut lines.

Thanks for stopping by B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much fellas!! I really appreciate all the nice comments. :D

Unfortunately uni hasn't allowed me much spare time lately, but I have managed to clean up after that section and start on a tailgate. Hopefully the final stance will be fairly close to this, we'll see how it goes-

P1040813_zpse127b137.jpg

Sorry for the B/W pic, I was just playing around with the camera, but this shot turned out the clearest :P

I think I would take a little out of the box behind the back tire. Shorten that box up just a tad

Thanks for the suggestion Fred :D I'll know for sure once I get the roof chopped, but that does look like a pretty good idea, I appreciate it.

How about a 68-70 Charger grill, as it about matches the overall shape of the trucks grill area, or even a Charger500 grill?

Another excellent idea! I have been staring at it a lot and looking at lots of other grilles, and I am liking the look of quad headlights. I thought maybe I could try something Impala-inspired, with horizontal slats. I figure it'd make the truck appear wider/flatter. Just a matter of experimenting I guess, eventually I'll come up with something that feels right :lol:

Thanks for following along with this build blokes. Hopefully I'll get a breath of free time soon enough, and I can dive back into the deep of this project again B)

I prefer the Sweptline-Era trucks (1961-71) to the Lifestyle-Era (1972-92ish) trucks myself, but I still like a well-done Lifestyler!

Honest opinion here; I wouldn't chop the top unless it is a very mild chop (1"-1.5") as the truck will look way too short vertically. If you are saying 'Bugger Off' to reality here, then a decent chop will be ok, but for a realistic chop, go small. Unless of course you decide to build a Ferrari-type monoque bathtub type chassis/interior set-up with deep-set seats and dash!