Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratching the surface,1936 Bentley Saloon

kennb

I am going to be starting another saloon car from 1936. This time it is going to be a Bentley. I will be taking it from start to finish, naturally, and am anticipating about a 2 month build on this one. I will be doing some new things, new methods, and incorrperating working steering, and if someone has 3-D drawings of the engine for this and a 3-D printer they can make me a working engine, :lol: (in my dreams). I will also be incorrperating additional information on other builds as I go along as they relate to the construction of this car. I will also be making modifications to the car that are not on the origional as shown below but are common to the 1936 Bentley. :D

1935-Bentley-Saloon-aution-at-Brooklands

So, sit back and follow along and comment along the way whether good or bad.....critical suggestions are the way to good models since I can miss things or always make them better when incorrect areas are brought to light. B)

I am still in need of good chassis drawings and engine information on this. :huh:

Kenn :)

We have a bunch of photos of the car...so what. Now how do we go from photos to building a car in scale with all the details and chassis and wheels and motor and,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :blink:

First,,,I print off a good clear side drawing of the car as I posted in the previous post. I measure the distance center to center on the wheels. This car has a wheelbase of about 117" depending on the builder and actural car. Since they were all hand made, and each was different it is a challenge. I made my drawing 6 1/4" center to center....about 1/20th scale, the same as the MG saloon.....I also found a decentt picture of the frame(chassis) from a decent angle but it was not perfect....for this it is good enough to produce a set of chassis drawings to work from that are the same scale as the photo. ;)

DSCN4244_zps0fb94204.jpg

With the chassis photo on the computer and the colour rendering for reference I traced the outline and centers of the wheels on a seperate page and then roughed out a resonable chassis drawing in scale that I can work from. I willmake copies to build from and save the rigional to a file. (Hardcopy) B)

This is what I end up with to work from.

DSCN4243_zpsf1fe605b.jpg

Next is the frame construction. I like the photo I have since it shows a lot of details that we can use in the model. :rolleyes:

The frame rails are rather straight forward, gluing the template to the plasctic and cutting it out. B)

DSCN4245_zpsb6294c62.jpg

I need the frame 3 pieces thick for each side so I cut and glue and cut and glue,,,then tack to the plastic a forth time and repeat cutting and gluing so that I have 6 thicknesses divided buy a tacked center (3 each side). then sand even, drill 2 holes and seperate. :blink:

DSCN4246_zpsf1e1685e.jpg

DSCN4247_zps44c39c97.jpg

We will determine the distence apart next time...... :rolleyes:

I also want to start thinking ahead a little at this time to get plumbing areas....as we see it is all along the dirvers side on the frame.(the right side).

Since I am considering using a lot of fiber optics in this car I will use the fiber optic cable as brake lines and fuel lines, with the battery in the fuel tank. :huh:

I need to leave a space for all of this clear along the side. We will explore this next time also to see how it works out.

axels and springs....The front axel is bent on a jig with.80 rod.

DSCN4250_zps191a7892.jpg

rear axel is built up with .80 rod inside 3/16 tube and a 7/16 pumpkin.axels are run wild for now. -_-

DSCN4253_zpsde2fa919.jpg

Springs are made up with 5/32 flat .20 plastic and cut to length and glued up using the template for the frame. ;)

DSCN4255_zps1b997c46.jpg

DSCN4258_zps57bb20c7.jpg

next we will set the springs in place and set the width, install axels setting the frame height. :blink:

Thanks for following along..............................comments are always welcome.

The theme for Twilight Zone plays in the backgorund.

Scene: the cutting table on Mars hidden away..

Action: Madly drawing out cutting sheets and plugging them into the plasma cutter.

for the cross members on the chassis.

DSCN4260_zps400f6e5f.jpg

DSCN4261_zps9d7eecb7.jpg

Aside note: center to be cut to fit when others are in place.

Light fades to dark and scene closes> :blink:

Kenn B)

tires and wires....................................................tires are made of the 3/8" strips glued together. ;)

DSCN4265_zps50d85714.jpg

DSCN4268_zpsd5f5ab86.jpg

I have revised how I lace the wires....first I went to a 5" 20 peg lacing board and then I finished all the parts better before lacing. The rediction of wire leads to a more stunning lace job as youcan see in the comparison.

DSCN4273_zpsfde230cb.jpg

This is the final product. As you can see it is far superior to previous lacings....I am sure as time goes on They will get even better. :rolleyes:

DSCN4275_zps4f978570.jpg

Thanks for watching and comments are always welcome,,,,,good or critial suggestions for improvement.

Kenn :P

Edited by kennb

Awwww Troy, that's only caz he's A REAL modeler, and not just one of us guys who put kits together! When your THIS deep, nothing else will do. This way you KNOW the part is right because YOU BUILT IT! You ARE a very talented gentleman, I do gotta admit that! Doin GREAT so far!!!!

Thank you Jose' Troy and George for the comments and nice things. I never thought I would be laIcing my own wires a month ago.......But now that I am doing it look for projects that have wire wheels :rolleyes:

turning to some explorations on doing up the body.... I was looing at how it was going last night and decided to take it apart and do a few changes...Not sure if it will be worth it but I like it. B)

DSCN4281_zpse04a2aa7.jpg

DSCN4280_zpsfcead3d0.jpg

Just adds a few more minutes to the build time is all........................ :lol:

Thanks for the comments and encouragement..

I will be doing opening doors on this one. After some exploring the methods to do it i think it will be just fine. It will involve a new way of building the can and some new ideas will have to be implimented but I think i have them worked out,

DSCN4283_zps088657e2.jpg

DSCN4284_zps05650c3c.jpg

DSCN4285_zps1c0ff6d9.jpg

DSCN4286_zpsc3ffd623.jpg

Kenn

Edited by kennb