Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratching the surface,1936 Bentley Saloon

kennb

I'm glad you're only kidding about the roll-down windows. If you actually did that, I'd almost start crying. As it is, I already feel wholly inadequate when looking at your work.

I am interested in the fibre-optics; I have a couple of ideas for my own projects that might require their use and I'll be interested to see how you do them.

Charlie Larkin

Thank you charlie for the kind comments. Maybe I should do some roll down windows in the furure............. :lol: .Power ones of course..............

I will be starting the fiber optics next week and since I have never covered them in my builds I will be going through that aspect with great detail including all the ways I mess it up until I get it right. :):D

Kenn :)

Dome light inside the passenger compartment....................will show how later................... :rolleyes:

DSCN4370_zpsc589326a.jpg

DSCN4371_zps9407bc9a.jpg

I was looking for a nice warrm glow and I think I have the right one right on the first try.................. B):P

Introducing electric lights to your car using LCD's and fiber optics. This next week we are going to use these items to make working lights on a 3 volt system that runs all your lighting.

Dash lights, interior lights, trunk lights, head lights and marker lights. Towards the end of the week we will go SOLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Getting materials. I have a handfull of light(LCD's) that I got out of baby monitors, old phone bases,,,computers,,,,and floppy drives. I checked them all and they work without the need for resistors. :o

Some are small enuff to be used as they are while others will be the mother light for the fiber optics...... ;)

DSCN4374_zps4fd53075.jpg

DSCN4373_zps5555c85b.jpg

Note the micro switch on the red LCD circut board,,,,,,that is an on/off swtich that we willl be using............. :rolleyes:

More as we go........................

Edited by kennb

Fiber optics is a simple concept, moving light along a clear channel in and shape to a designated location. The light source can be miles from the location but in the case here it can be 8 to 10 inches.

The colour of the light depends only on the source light. We will be using red, green, and yellow for this section. The light sources are shown in the previous post using s 3 volt battery.

I am using clear plastic window sprues for this section. They are heated to a thick consistency and slowed pulled out to become thinner along the run so they can be truned, bent, and run along inside the body of the vehicle or in place of brake lines or fuel lines to get them to where you want the light.

DSCN4376_zps59f952af.jpg

I left the ends larger so they can be used as the actual light. we will get into controlling this later.

The ends are then exposed to the candle to make them smooth and polished. Be very careful and take your time pulling and polishing the ends, the plastic can catch fire and burn your piddies in a hurry.

Now you can test the finish light and channel.

DSCN4382_zpsca6c02f2.jpg

Note the "hole" in the light. That comes from the fact that the sprues are actually hollow and even when you pull them out they are still a tube. If you use "genuine" fiber optic material this will not be there.

Thanks for watching and comments are very welcome.... :rolleyes:

I am waiting for parts for the elctrical to come so I thought I might try some thing quick here per Richards suggestion...This is a 1932 Ford 4 door. :P will see how far this goes.

It is 1/25th scale.

DSCN4395_zps6b955c18.jpg

DSCN4395_zps6b955c18.jpg

DSCN4399_zpsa8ccb70b.jpg

Thanks for following

Kenn :rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

Geez........you work so fast Kenn.!! The engine detail is great...well the whole car is to be honest. I've only just looked in on this thread and i gotta say your builds just keep on getting better. Thanks for sharing.

PS....any progress on the Buick you started?

lets get some windows that open and close..... :P I will incorperate this into the Bentley............. B)

simple prototye,,already have some other ideas to hide the opener,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;)

DSCN4411_zps9b1e8323.jpg

DSCN4412_zps77b6ef9c.jpg

Thanks to all those comments and offeringencouragement and watching. :rolleyes:

revisions to the operator mechinisum.......i made it hidden.

If you look close to the jamb you can see the red mark. It slides in a slot to open and close them window....much simpler and easier to make than the previous. Might have more revisions later i am not sure.Trying to find a motor to operate it................................. :lol: .

DSCN4415_zps1979565d.jpg

DSCN4416_zps49e164e4.jpg

Edited by kennb