Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratching the surface,1936 Bentley Saloon

kennb

Picked up this AMT promo today.....all nice chrome and parts but not sure the body can be salvaged,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think it is a 1955....

DSCN4571_zps1359cf97.jpg

DSCN4572_zpsb3f1e8e0.jpg

DSCN4573_zps5f50d9fb.jpg

DSCN4574_zpsffbf4831.jpg

Might be able to get a convertable out it I am not sure,,,have to try to straighten it out somehow

Back to the Bentley and a question. I have started to do some resin casting like my 5 part wheels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCN4543_zps5fb8b20a.jpg

Since I made my own masters is using the cast resin parts I made still considered scratch building? I am considering making more cast parts for engines and the like but does it blurr the line between scratch building and replicated parts? But then does it realy matter in the first place.....I guess it is more of a philosophical question tht anything. Then,,,If i use another kit and cast a part there in combination with scratch built parts????I am thinking in particular making up some better side draft carb setups using a flat head carb in combination of scratch built parts and casting them to use on my models,,,,would that cancel out the commercial parts aspect?

All silly thoughts but still in the back of my mind.

DSCN4558_zps29acfbe7.jpg

Edited by kennb

Thanks for the comments,,,sometimes when no one comments I get the feeling that others are getting bored with my posts....... :P

I never get "bored" of builds in the body work stage.

Please don't think like that..and remember that I'm looking

forward to your updates.

Thanks for sharing

Joker

Casting a scratchbuilt part doesn't make it any less scratchbuilt. My opinion is that if you have to make it because it's not or never has been commercialy available then it is scratchbuilt. Including parts that have to be modified for a use other than originaly intended.

The Bentley and ford are off to the paint shop tomorrow for the first coat of primer, The caddy has been set aside for now but will be taking some molds for the rear quarters. ;)

Tomorrow I will be posting some piccys of a new project that will take me through the end of the year, part will be posted here and part in the diorama section since they are part of the same project.

I have been designing this for the last few days and will have some new things I am trying....... B)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback on casting. I will also be getting back the the MG TA Q boat tail since some of the problems with that have been solved. :rolleyes:

Going back to 1935 at the MG board room. In 1935, Nuffield sold the MG Car Company to Morris Motors and it was this rationalisation that lost MG its autonomy. Cecil Kimber was instructed that Abingdon was to return far higher profits and as a result the racing programme ceased with immediate effect. With this in mind a small group of employees wanted to continue with the racing. They got together and using the now proven K3 for the base they and set out looking for a place to have for thier shops. In Devonshire they found an older industrial building that needed work and supplyed a place to hold the 3 K3's and extra mechanicals they needed for racing. There was a loft to hold spares and bits plus a spot to build the engines, frames and repair the bodies as needed. There were not a lot of windows but had a big carriage door at one end to provide access...The photos shows the interior as they found it before they cleaned it out.

MG_4303_zpsb88df6db.jpg

MG_4320_zps9f1bc8fd.jpg

MG_4341_zpsac4e99c7.jpg

MG_4353_zpsd73fd73e.jpg

Over the next year we will explore the refurbishing of the shop and building the race team of 3 K3's with spares and bits and their work in the shops.In the diorama section We will see the shops taking shape and in the workbench section the K3's will get built up. The cars are all going to be cast resin "kits" to show how they got the parts needed from MG. Frame rails, mechanicals, bodies, and special racing tires along with a supply of wires and a lacing shop to repair and straighten the wires. I will keep with the "scratching the surface" for this build along with others as I go along and the completion of the Bentley, of course.

DSCN4597_zps6b5a6e3a.jpg

Again thanks to all my followers and those that comment,,,,that is what keeps me going :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments and views... :) .....the engine recieved an overall colour coat and ready to pick out the details............... :rolleyes:

DSCN4621_zpsf1f998df.jpg

DSCN4625_zpsa275164a.jpg

Dont forget to check the new diorama linked below........................................

Thank you Richard,,,,,,sometimes when things start to go to the paint shop they take longer to get thing done,,,,,have 3 cars in paint right now along with the diorama,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :o

put some paint on the roadster I am using for testing electrical parts.....tail lights in and working,,,,,need to do the headlights and fiber optic axel.......

DSCN4645_zps3792d573.jpg

DSCN4642_zps39d74f14.jpg

not great but semi acceptable :P

Edited by kennb

You sir are an inspiration, I being watching your builds for a while truely amazing! I'm about to start my first complete scratch build,it is the labatt streamliner been hunting down info for almost 3 years thanks for you insiration!!

Threw this in the paint bucket yesterday,,,,going to be bone stock........................yes an unmolested kit,,,who wudda thunk it

:P

DSCN4665_zps6aba79d2.jpg

will go under glass later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes: