Model Cars Magazine Forum

Compressor Question , sorry for a repeated Q

Back at you with a question....... Does it have a tank ? Better off with one ! Secondly , the hobby compressors build up moisture fast when run for any length of time. . Couple that with the small standard moisture trap that they use , the compressor can fill up the jar real quick with water .

If you aren't paying attention , the jar will overflow into your hose and your airbrush will end up spitting water all over your pristine paint job ! Another way around this would be to buy larger moisture traps from Graingers , Sears , etc , and install them inline . I have three on my setup , always better to be safe than sorry !

Hi Donn , yes it has a tank ,,, oh and your DVD on painting , outstanding !!! ,,,, and i am sending you a money order for the other DVD you have , going to mail that today , stupid pay pal still has yet to fix my problem

Edited by CrazyGirl

Looking at the photo of the Paasche website, that's pretty much the same compressor I've been using for the last couple of years, and have no trouble with it at all, the moisture trap does the job it should, nice a quite little compressor, so yes, it's a good choice .....

As the master Donn says 3 traps, I got 2 water & 1oil, Donn's says on his DVD & in his last post, some may consider it overkill but i personally can vouch for better paint work by following Donn's simple but effective guide lines. I will get around to finishing & posting something someday, lol.

A word about air-line dryers...mounting the dryer as far away from the compressor and as close to the gun as practical is the hot setup. Air is heated as it's compressed, hot air holds more moisture than cool air, and it cools in the air lines. The more it cools, the more moisture it releases. In my 1:1 paint booth, I use a large heat-exchanger to cool air as much as possible before running it through the dryers.

When air goes through the spray nozzle, it expands (and cools more...remember high school physics ?? ) so any remaining moisture will condense out and show up as water spitting or blushing on the surface. Science is our friend.

one just before the regulator is needed .. it keeps the regulator clean and trouble free.

any extra is only dealing with potential moisture in the actual AB line.. so a small one at the ab input is popular.

but I always make sure to have one just before the regulator... and that's usually sufficient unless you have a ton of air-line after that

well i bought the Paasche DR3000R , it will be here thursday ,,, i am so close to start doing some building , just a few more odds and ends ,, dang , i had an easier time when i had my house built ,, i think it required less stuff than model building :lol:

Hey Girl, I am thinking about selling my mini mill and mini lathe. Let's talk about it, if you have a general interest about information on either tool, have had mine for years and used to work as a mold maker, and pattern maker.

I have had a Paasche D3000R for about 4 years now and have never had a problem with it, reasonably quiet and very efficient. It has a moisture trap/filter already plumbed in line and can be emptied/purged by pressing a stem protruding from the bottom of the filter. I do this maybe once while painting and it works fine. I spray Model Master Acryl paints and Model Car World automotive lacquers with it. I think that after you have played with it a little while you will be very happy with it.

I am 72 years old and got back into modeling after being away from it for about 35 years and would like to offer this for your consideration....I admire your enthusiasm for getting into building models but would advise that you restrain yourself a little and actually start building some kits up before buying everything you see that can be used in building. I think that by starting at a somewhat slower pace you can "ease" into the hobby without over-reaching and maybe getting exasperated or overwhelmed and quitting too soon.

I have discovered that although I can't build models that compare to some I see on this and other forums this is a very rewarding hobby that allows a person to proceed at their own pace and advance their skills within their own capabilities.