Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '69 Shelby GT500

PeeBee

Well, time to stop lurking and finally post a build.

This is the first build I've completed since a fire gutted my model room and consumed all my builts and 350+ kit stash (50 years worth). The pictures are snaps taken with my phone and are not very forgiving; the model looks a lot better in real life (really!). Especially the engine - in the pictures it looks like the paint's globbed on and the ignition wire (30-gauge wrapping wire) looks like scale garden hose! Gonna hafta work on my photography, i.e. use a real camera and pay attention to lighting.

Anyway, paint is Dupicolor "Bright Red" over Duplicolor primer, no clear, just color sanded (4,000 thru 12,000) and polished with Novus #2. "Chrome" trim is cheapo store-brand aluminum foil. Tires are AMT Goodyears.

This kit fought me the whole way and I rushed it at the end - it was on the bench way too long.

Regards.

Paul B.

post-4517-0-11529600-1364909543_thumb.jppost-4517-0-08446200-1364909559_thumb.jppost-4517-0-19733200-1364909635_thumb.jppost-4517-0-74952600-1364909656_thumb.jp

Yeah I've been looking at your builds and can tell without a doubt you're a pro but the pictures just don't cut it. I find that when I photograph my models on a white backdrop the model looks much nicer. Get a blank piece of poster paper and tape one end to the floor and the other to a wall. THERE YOU HAVE IT! A nice white backdrop for photography!

Wow! Thank you all the positive feedback. I must admit that participating on the forum has added a whole new element to this hobby for me.

Yeah, the fire was a really depressing situation to deal with, but it was four years ago (already!) and I've re-built the model room and have a new, and different, collection. Before the fire my collection had become focused on 1/24 Japanese and European resin, plastic and white metal sports and racing car kits, i.e. a lot of Tamiya and Fujimi, and I lost nine Model Factory Hiro kits, two of which were built ('57 Ferrari TR & 166MM Barchetta). At the time of the fire one of my daughters was just out of Fordham University (Bronx, NY) and two more of my kids were headed toward college (and are attending now), which meant, of course, that there was no way I was going to be able re-build the collection I had (keep those receipts, kids!). I decided that this time around I'd just replace my favorite 1/25 kits that were lost and then hold the scale of the collection to 1/25 to keep costs down on future acquisitions.

CrazyGirl: The fire investigator (our local Fire Chief) thinks that the fire was caused by a couple of heavy-duty extension chords that I used to feed the lights and power strips in the room. The surplus length of the chords was kept "neatly" coiled up on the floor, apparently causing enough heat build-up to eventually burn through and ignite the cable insulation, and then everything else nearby. i was told that this was not an uncommon occurance.

Monty: The air cleaner filter element is just a thin strip of Tamiya masking tape, no cutting required.

post-4517-0-16667700-1365011908_thumb.jppost-4517-0-55757600-1365011925_thumb.jp

The sole survivor of the fire - an Etzel's '25 Duesenberg (resin kit). It was in my cabinet surrounded by plastic and white-metal kits that liquified. Go figure.

post-4517-0-75864500-1365012155_thumb.jp

Back in business. Thanks again for the input folks!

Paul B.