Model Cars Magazine Forum

From the 1979 Peterbilt Conventionals brochure. For some reason, this truck has 2 air cleaner hoses sticking out instead of 1. What's up with that? I've seen 359s with dual air cleaners, but never a 359 with two air cleaner hoses!

(P.S., Check out the groovy paint job!)

http://images102.fotki.com/v398/fileiMcs/6...eConv197906.jpg

Edited by ABC Auto Industry

Found it!

The photos are on my old Peterbilt photo page at this address:

old website on Angelfire.

Scroll down the page and there is a brown 359 with dual air cleaners with the preheated air setup.

Beware, Angelfire is full of popups, a big reason I moved to my current server www.timstrucks.com

The paint job on the '79 brochure truck (the truck in the photo is probably a '78 as most of the '79 builds had newer all Peterbilt single round-bulkhead door sleeper like the Revell/Monogram 359 kit)

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

The Revell of Germany 359 kits have dual air cleaners. The Revell/Monogram snap-kit has a single painted air cleaner.

Tim

Dual air cleaners with dual hoses!? Now that's an odd truck! I also saw a flat fender 351 with a fender-mounted air cleaner on that site as well.

Speaking of air cleaners, does the Revell 359 have dual air cleaners?

• 9 years later...

Friend of mine bought a 1975 w900 new with a pair of those air cleaners. Note the center point steering. This truck was unique even with short hood it had a factory Cummins kt 450. It has a unique firewall and cross member brace around the bellhousing. By the way this truck is still going doing local work and yard mule duties.

scan0003.jpg

Edited by lapazleo

• 2 weeks later...

It was often called "inside/outside" air filtration by most builders as I recall. Fresh air comes in under the hood.  Sadly I have no pix of one with the hood tilted but it seemed the under hood routing was improvised though first hand exposure to them was few and far between. 

Yes, they typically were found in snowy climates to prevent snow packing.  Most non cookie cutter OEM's offered the option and was quite popular in Canada well into the mid 80's.  From what I recall, it was a  VERY pricey option for what it was.  It was also helpful (so the marketing sorts claimed) in high dust environments like grain and coal hauling. I recall a few coal haulers in Appalachia with it. The theory was sound; actual effectiveness?  Debatable. 

Some swore by it....others at it. 

Dealers were after GM to offer it on the General and Bison but honestly dont recall it ever showing up in the data book instead dinking around with all kinds of caps and pre cleaners that simply bolted on top of the can not affecting the hood or underneath though I am confident SOMEBODY offered them as "universal kits" for dealers and owners to apply themselves.

Edited by olsbooks