Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 2010 Shelby GT500 "Super Snake" COMPLETED in Under Glass

Kennyboy

So I bought the GT500 from Hobby Lobby like many others did here (40% off coupon.) Just could not bring myself to build it box stock. Sooooo the picture search began and I settled on the Super Snake. The first order of business was to find a set of wheels.......like many here I found this to be quite difficult. I found that the R/C world had more to offer than anything so I purchased the wheels below which look pretty similar to the originals (or close enough for the lack of choices out there.) On to the hood! 12 hours later of cutting, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, :blink: !!! ??!! Finally got the hood ready for paint.

Here's some progress shots so far....

P1010439_zps394dab75.jpg

P1010440_zps5aac6225.jpg

P1010441_zpsa9b30306.jpg

P1010442_zpsc7a04809.jpg

Some wheel mockups......

P1010443_zps88a9ad0a.jpg

P1010444_zps1692c06c.jpg

P1010445_zps814e7474.jpg

Car WILL look like this.

2011ShelbyMustangSuperSnake2_zpsbb03e885

Edited by Kennyboy

Your workmanship is fine.

But the 1:1-I can't help but be reminded of the giant catfish seen on Discovery Channels 'River Monsters'...

Thanks Cato. :lol: She is definitely a monster alright! The 1:1 has up to 850hp!!

Edited by Kennyboy

Hood looks great. You could probably sell some of those.

I agree with Ray, cast that hood and make a short production run available. you might be able to recoup the cost of the kit. :)

those wheels look just right.

Thanks guys...your probably right about the hood but for me to do this one I had to cut, raise, and section the hood that came with the kit. Besides, I wouldn't know the first idea of how to cast it anyhow. Good idea though.

Very cool looking so far. I had those Cervini's side window and door scoops along with a hood of theirs on my 05 when its was only about 4 months old

Thanks, I dont blame you for getting them.....if I had a Mustang it would be the first purchase I would make.

Do you have a wip on the hood and scoops?

No unfortunately I didn't do a step by step on them. I just dug in and built them. You basically have to cut apart the hood, refit it, add the sides, and then reglue it together. the scoops were just measured, cut, and glued styrene.

Next will be the Kenne-Bell supercharger, then the embroidered headrests will be hand painted (Cobras.) STAY TUNED!

hi Ken, not only nice work but fast, should really stand out beside a stock one.

Thanks Jeff! I work on it during the day before I go to work 2nd shift. I wanted to make something unique out of this kit that I would be proud to display.....I believe though, I am beginning to fall down "the rabbit hole." :D

This is pretty cool. Could have saved time on the scoops as they are still optional. You could have built the aluminum window blanks. I prefer the scoops myself though. These are fun cars. I have a 40th anny vert and would never think of parting with it.

Hey thanks Fred. Yeah I looked at the window blanks too but the scoops seemed a little more appropriate to the theme I am heading in. Would love to get one of these someday myself and I dont blame you for not wanting to part with your 40th!

So as I said in the last posting on 4-2, I was planning on making a Kenne Bell supercharger for this build. The Kenne Bell is the supercharger the Super Snake uses soooooo it had to be in the build. I decided to make it out of wood because of the shapeability of it. I include a picture of the 1:1 supercharger so you can see my inspiration for the design. I think it came out pretty good for having to cut apart the upper intake and fuel rails.

P1010452_zps82dfd884.jpg

P1010456_zps253c91ef.jpg

P1010458_zpsc57f12b8.jpg

P1010459_zps929e987f.jpg

This is what I am shooting for \/\/

evo-kb_zps4a03e238.jpg

P1010480_zps4bdc93fd.jpg

P1010484_zps3229a9fb.jpg

P1010486_zps5635ff18.jpg

P1010487_zps2d88c2c2.jpg

And a picture of the intake tube I painted

P1010489_zps047fa181.jpg