Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 2010 Shelby GT500 "Super Snake" COMPLETED in Under Glass

Kennyboy

If I may ask, what was your method of decanting Duplicolor paint? With that weird nozzle they have, I'm having a lot of trouble getting an even finish and a lot of build up. Thanks for any help regarding this matter.

RYAN.

Pm sent

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought the GT500 from Hobby Lobby like many others did here (40% off coupon.) Just could not bring myself to build it box stock. Sooooo the picture search began and I settled on the Super Snake. The first order of business was to find a set of wheels.......like many here I found this to be quite difficult. I found that the R/C world had more to offer than anything so I purchased the wheels below which look pretty similar to the originals (or close enough for the lack of choices out there.) On to the hood! 12 hours later of cutting, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, :blink: !!! ??!! Finally got the hood ready for paint.

Here's some progress shots so far....

P1010439_zps394dab75.jpg

P1010440_zps5aac6225.jpg

P1010441_zpsa9b30306.jpg

P1010442_zpsc7a04809.jpg

Some wheel mockups......

P1010443_zps88a9ad0a.jpg

P1010444_zps1692c06c.jpg

P1010445_zps814e7474.jpg

Car WILL look like this.

2011ShelbyMustangSuperSnake2_zpsbb03e885

How did you make the hood scoop? Out of styrene?

How did you make the hood scoop? Out of styrene?

Hood scoop was made by cutting two lines upward toward back of the hood, raising that section of hood up, and making styrene side supports to hold it in place. So essentially the top of the hood scoop IS the original hood. The vents were cut into it and the individual slats were laid in with styrene strips.

• 2 months later...

I love this build. Mustangs are my favorite car and you made this thing look totally awesome. One small question if I may though. Did you forget to put the door mirrors on or did you omit them on purpose?

Mirrors were added after those pictures. A friend who is a hobby photographer took those just before the car was finished. The pictures in "Under Glass" section are of the completed model.

Thank you for the compliments! I love the Mustangs too.