Model Cars Magazine Forum

X-ITE! Fun With Ed Roth's Surfite...WIP 4-14-13

Ira

X-ITE!!!

A few years ago I bought 2 Surfite Bodies. I had plans for them, but those plans didn't work out, so the Surfite Bodies went on the shelf.

A couple of months ago, after watching a Star Trek Movie, I figured out what to do with them!

X-ITE was inspired by little Personal Transport Vehicles called Work Bees, from Star Trek...

DSCN1289X_zps18f86618.jpg

Here is how X-ITE was built... B)

Edited by Ira

GETTING SYMETRICAL...

The Surfite features Asymetrical styling, with each side different. I want to make both sides of the Yellow Body the same width.

The top is warped and broken, on the White Body, so it will be the donor.
My plan is to cut the Right Side from the White Body and mold it on to the Yellow Body...

DSCN1200X_zps008379d7.jpg

I cut as much of the Right Side of the White Body as I could. Then I cut the Left Side of the Yellow Body as little as I could.

DSCN1204X_zps244f7f93.jpg

I fit the Right Side to the Yellow Body and with a little sanding with a BiG Sanding Block with 100 Grade Sand Paper, I got them to fit together pretty good.
Then I attached the sides using Zap-A-Gap - Green Label Glue,

DSCN1209X_zpsae89e6a7.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

If it hasn't been said in the last 24 hours Ira, you need a brain scan. Something's not quite right in there my friend. Sorry I've been MIA for so long, but I've been keeping an eye on you. Brilliant stuff over the last year.

The Work Bee is one of my favorite Trek vehicles. I know you'll knock it out of dry dock !!!

X-ITE UNDERBODY!

I cut the Left Side from one underbody and the Right Side from the other.

DSCN1212X_zps3a58e218.jpg

I measured the body and cut the underbody sides to fit...

DSCN1216X_zpse9ba1458.jpg

Then I glued them to the body with Zap-A-Gap.

DSCN1219X_zpsbe155e2a.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

TRIMMIN' THE BOTTOM...

I removed the yellow paint with ELO Paint & Decal Remover. Then I filled the Surf Board Slots with strip plastic.

DSCN1226X_zps8b5609f3.jpg

Here is the side of the body showing the angle where I am going to trim the front/underside off.

DSCN1221X_zps46730632.jpg

I cut the front underside off and added some putty.

DSCN1227X_zpsd195a51c.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

SHAPING THE BOTTOM!

I use 1/4" wide plastic strips to form the bottom edges. I cut 4 pieces of plastic strip and glued them in with Zap-A-Gap.

DSCN1282X_zps8a94f75d.jpg

Next I cut a piece of 1/8" wide plastic strip and glued it in across the sides as shown. There is a 3/8" gap between the strip and the front piece. Then I glued a 1/4" strip in the center of the strips.

DSCN1320X_zpsd353f9b8.jpg

These are the Front Intakes. I filed and sanded the front edges to get this shape.

DSCN1321X_zpsd8a3106f.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

X-ITE'S BACK DOOR!

I applied a few of coats of Primer/Filler and sanded the body down between coats.
I traced the shape of the rear opening on to sheet plastic. Then I cut it out and carved it down to fit just right...

DSCN1296X_zps8cc7d704.jpg

Next I cut out a window opening for the door...

DSCN1306X_zps985b4978.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

If it hasn't been said in the last 24 hours Ira, you need a brain scan. Something's not quite right in there my friend. Sorry I've been MIA for so long, but I've been keeping an eye on you. Brilliant stuff over the last year.

The Work Bee is one of my favorite Trek vehicles. I know you'll knock it out of dry dock !!!

Thanks for the kind words Joe!