Model Cars Magazine Forum

1989 and 1992 ford mustang comparisons?

Yes, it is a 100% carry-over from the original 'retool' of the GT in 1987 (as an 88 kit). It was later labeled as a 1991 (and in the High Tech version actually received the Pony wheels versus the incorrect-for-91 Turbines). Then they rehashed it as the 'Lowrider' 1992GT convertible even though the steering wheel, column, seats, and wheels are 1987-89 equipment.

If you really wanted to convert it to a 'closer-to-correct' 1991 model, grab a 1993 Cobra and use the steering wheel and seats from that kit. As far as the Pony wheels, good luck finding any originals or re-pops.

Edited by whale392

They would be basically the same kit, save for the wheels. The '92 version would have the 5 star pony wheels, while the '89 would be equipped with the turbine style wheels.

The cheese grater style taillights are correct for '87-93 Mustang GTs. 1990 and up cars would have the airbag equipped style steering wheels.

Roy

Edited by madhorseman

The 92 kit never came with the Pony wheels (in the lowrider form) as the lowrider is labeled as a 1992 even though it is a 1987-89. The basic kit body showed up in 1987 as the 'New Monkeys' 87 Mustang GT convertible. Sadly, that kit was just a set of kitted-up turbines and a new body dropped onto Revell/Monograms existing 1983-84 Mustang convertible chassis/interior/drivetrain.

oh wow, you guys are amazing, I would have never known. Very interesting history :) I want to build one version of it in particular I remember which was red just like the one in this picture. I have some revell Mustang Saleen speedster rims that would probably look really close to these rims. I really don't like the lowrider rims in the 92 kit neither the lowrider decals. I remember when it was popular to have the lowrider rims sticking out all crazy like shown in the revell box art, for some reason that style always made any car like that resemble a turtle to me lol jk, funny looking. This body is still considered foxbody type right? or was it just the late 70's early 80s versions that were referred that way?.

post-10617-0-26003700-1365049195_thumb.j

post-10617-0-16381700-1365050169_thumb.j

Edited by ERIK88

The lowrider "skateboard" euro look is bad enough, but that offset on the kit is extremely unrealistic. So many things come to ming how this wouldn't work very well in 1:1. Anyhow, 79-93 Mustang are Fox bodies, as are Fairmonts, Thunderbirds, LTD's, Cougars, and Lincoln Mk VI's from around that era. Ford got some mileage out of that platform.

Being as the Saleen wheels are representative of 18" wheels in 1/25th and the Fox Mustang (1979-93) is 1/24th, the 18" Saleens scale to roughly 17" wheels for a 1/24th build. The wheels in the pictured red drop-top look to be an earlier ROH design.

Ford used the Fox Chassis (beginning in 1978) under the Mercury Zephyr and Ford Fairmont. In 1979, they placed it as the new platform for the 1979-93 Mustang and 1979-86 Mercury Capri. The Ford Thunderbird got it in 1980, along with the Mercury Cougar (both continued as Fox chassis until 1988, when the MN12 took over). The little LTD and Marquise also had the chassis (82-85 I believe), the Lincoln MKVII (1985-94ish), and in some parts in the 1982-83 Lincoln Town Car. There were some variations of the Fairmont that also used it.

The Fox4 (commonly called the SN95) chassis was used (with revisions) under the 1994-2004 Mustang. With minimal fitting issues, you can swap a 2004 Cobra rear-end up under your 1978 Fairmont.

Ford used the Fox Chassis (beginning in 1978) under the Mercury Zephyr and Ford Fairmont. In 1979, they placed it as the new platform for the 1979-93 Mustang and 1979-86 Mercury Capri. The Ford Thunderbird got it in 1980, along with the Mercury Cougar (both continued as Fox chassis until 1988, when the MN12 took over). The little LTD and Marquise also had the chassis (82-85 I believe), the Lincoln MKVII (1985-94ish), and in some parts in the 1982-83 Lincoln Town Car. There were some variations of the Fairmont that also used it.

The Fox4 (commonly called the SN95) chassis was used (with revisions) under the 1994-2004 Mustang. With minimal fitting issues, you can swap a 2004 Cobra rear-end up under your 1978 Fairmont.

There was also the humpback '82-87 Lincoln Continental sedan that was a Fox body. And the '81-82 Granada and Cougar 4dr & 2dr (distinct from the '80-82 XR-7). That platform got a lot of use....

The Continental is where they drew the Master cylinder and the Towncar is where the front A-Arms came from that were put under the SVO. The SVO had a special K-member to take advantage of the Lincoln arms for better steering geometry and better turn-in/more anti-dive. The SVO also used the Lincoln MKVII rear end (5-lug disc) with minor revisions.

Yes, Ford got a boatload of use out of this chassis. And to think it all really started with Ford of Europe looking at and studying adaptive nature of the Audi FOX. That car is what led to a chassis Ford used (with revision) from 1978-2004.