Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi.

Shelby 427 1965

First off, can I just say.. I'm more proud of this than any of my other models, by FAR. I really think it's my best work.

So.. the write up. Out of all the Chargers, the '68 is my favourite - the grille anyway. For this I went for a dark metallic Green ("Ford Forest Green Metallic") and I wanted the car to look as stock as possible but be a dragster underneath, the ultimate street sleeper. This is the Revell kit, and a lovely one at that. No issues whatsoever, it was a dream to work with.

Additions to the kit - Wiring for the distributor and battery (My first time!) custom exhausts from aluminium tubing.

Anyway.. I think the pics do the talking. All comments and criticisms are much appreciated!

8617782153_d798150523_b.jpg

8618890792_0dea1f9350_b.jpg
8617781893_f6b0e8187c_b.jpg

8617781755_0298b52b10_b.jpg
8618890348_e7257016cd_b.jpg

8617781439_fcff1aa4f3_b.jpg
8618890128_81e07f6924_b.jpg

8618889852_600b502c6a_b.jpg
Cheers!

It's nice enough, to a point, like the guys have already mentioned. I wouldn't go overboard & say it's awesome though... There are a few little details, it seem's, you've over looked.. None of what I'm going to say is meant in a bad way, at all, just wanted to point out a few things that would maybe help in your next build?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I only have the use of my iPhone & sometimes pictures aren't as clear as they are on a normal sized PC/laptop... But it appears the headers don't actually meet-up with the exhaust?? It also seem's like you forgot to spray the underside of the interior tray/bucket, as the white plastic can be seen. It appears the hood isn't sitting flush & I believe that's not your fault but a flaw with the actual air-cleaner, sitting too high on the carb'... It's an easy fix... Sand the air cleaner down from inside it... Get it to sit lower ;-)

The grill is a little too chrome & need's more black wash to make it look closer to a 1:1 . Other than those little things, job well done!

Cheers

Edited by CJ1971

Cheers everyone! @CJ - Cheers for the heads up! The reason for the exhaust thing is that, from what I could see, this kit seemed to instruct me to not put an exhaust on with the 426.. There was only an exhaust for the 440, so I kinda did a butcher job of it but I didn't want to have no exhaust at all! I had the interior underside pointed out to me.. Bloody rookie mistake on my part there! :) I'll fix that air filter now too, thanks for the advice, it was kinda annoying me! As for the grille.. I made the choice between all flat black or this.. To be honest, I preferred this, but to each his own! Thanks for the post, the help is much appreciated! :)

Well we've all made those stupid mistakes, but all I can say is, if my models were coming out like this when I was 15 I would have been a very happy bunny, the Revell Charger is a nice kit, but it does have a few problems .... you've done the model proud.

Cheers everyone! @CJ - Cheers for the heads up! The reason for the exhaust thing is that, from what I could see, this kit seemed to instruct me to not put an exhaust on with the 426.. There was only an exhaust for the 440, so I kinda did a butcher job of it but I didn't want to have no exhaust at all! I had the interior underside pointed out to me.. Bloody rookie mistake on my part there! :) I'll fix that air filter now too, thanks for the advice, it was kinda annoying me! As for the grille.. I made the choice between all flat black or this.. To be honest, I preferred this, but to each his own! Thanks for the post, the help is much appreciated! :)

Yeh mate that's true about the exhaust, reason being is, the kit's 2'n'1 offer.... Stock ( 440 ) or drag ( 426 Hemi ). They only supplied the exhaust for the 440 because drag cars didn't use exhausts, so they didn't supply one. If you decide to build another one, or another kit, with the same problem, get yourself some solder, with a similar diameter to the exhaust & use that to extend from the headers to the mufflers. It's a very good substitute & easily bendable etc ??

It's cool about the grill, everyone's got their own tastes but if you wanted to darken it up just thin out your flat black paint & layer the coats to how you'd like the grill to look ?

Didn't know you're only 15yo... So great work mate! Keep it up!

Cheers Cliff