Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dyno Don Pro Stock Pinto Color?

crowe-t

I did some research and according to Hot Rod Magazine, May1972, it doesn't give the exact color, but it does state the car was painted by George Cerney of Norco California. If I'm not mistaken,George is Wes Cerney's dad. Famous drag racer and crew chief. I pulled all my reds and compared them to some good photos I had of this car and Model Master Guards red looks like best match, I pulled my Slixx decals for this car and it only suggests Red as the color. You might take the photo to your LHS and try matching the red to the ones they have in their paint racks.

Thanks Roger for the information!

One of these days I have to pick up the May '72 Hot Rod issue.

The car looks red to me in most pictures. However I've seen a couple of models built that are painted orange. I guess in some pictures it appears orange and it does appear orange on the MPC Dyno Don kit box.

Mike.

G B Y 1972 Ford Mustang Bright Red 2B B C S S M3560 2296 5229L, 5229A, 5229D 2004 3072
G B Y 1972 Ford Pinto Bright Red 2B B C X M3560 2296 5229LM, 5229AM, 5229DH 2004 3072

pulled from paint resource as you can see the pinto and mustang shared the same bright red.

the color does have a small hint of orange in the paint

most of the racers that raced pro stock the main color of the car was typically a factory color

i disagree.dyno don`s 65 comet was not poppy red(orange).his 66 car looked like a competition orange but that lasted only one race.his 67 car looked bright red like his 65 comet but later he changed to a darker red.i agree with bill`s suggestion that he used the 1972 factory bright red color.

Walt,

I did a search for pictures of Dyno Don's Comet and I agree his 65 looked like a competition orange. Even Poppy Red looks a bit too orange to me but that's what Dave at MCW suggested.

It's starting to look like Bright Red is the color.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Here's something interesting I found! In 1972 the color, Medium Coral (60449) was offered for Pintos. This is actually the same color code, 60449, as 1965 Poppy Red.

I'm still thinking Bright Red was used on Dyno Don's P/S Pinto but Medium Coral is a factory 1972 color. In some pictures Don's Pro Stock Pinto appears as an orange-red. Maybe Medium Coral was used???

1972-ford-pg01_zps8cf01097.jpg

1965-ford-pg01_zps99514779.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

• 3 years later...

Thanks Chuck!  

Dyno Don's Pinto looks like a regular red in most pictures but does at times look to have an orange tint.  I have a feeling it was painted either Poppy Red/Calypso Coral or Bright Red.  So far I'm leaning towards Bright Red.

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 months later...