Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silly mistakes

I got a surprise in the mail today... a 1/18 scale diecast '74 Monaco Chicago cop car. Thank you to my anonymous benefactor whose name I won't mention but who knows who he is... ;)

Nice model, all four doors open, hood and trunk open, nicely detailed engine and chassis, steel wheels with dog dish caps, even a shotgun in a dash-mounted rack. What's not to like?

But the slogan on the side of the car says "We Protect and Serve."

The actual CPD slogan is "We Serve and Protect."

Yeah, a minor detail for sure... but I have to wonder how stuff like this keeps happening? All it would take is a 30 second google image search, yet nobody bothered to make sure they got it right before they manufactured the model? We see silly mistakes like this slipping through to production constantly. Why??? :blink:

Checking your work takes time and time is money. This mistake is more irritating in this instance, but this way of saving money has entered many industries ... the scary thing for me is my personal experience in seeing it enter the engineering profession.

I agree. 1/24-1/25 Plastic kit, Diecast Kit or pre-built!!!

I Do have a 1/43 scale set I got FREE!!!!

CPD Cruiser, Blues Black & White & Street scene for diorama.

That is the thing to remember here. Since this is manufactured in China, Is it possible, that most of the workers Dod Not speak, Read, Write English??

Also, couldn't they see both lines as the same? Especially if they don't comprehend English??

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Harry, that kind of stuff bothers me as well. I don't know the answer but It's probably all the above. With your skills I'm sure you can fix it but it still comes back to why. Anyhow that's a nice gift, kudos to the giver and the mostly thankless job you do.

Guest G Holding

It should state..."Harass and Collect"

I suspect the legal eagles are protecting the copyright as Joe stated.

Made in china, with american design for production

Probably has something to do with how touchy Chicago PD still is to this day with the fallout from "The Blues Brothers". After the department was made to look like a bunch of baffoons they restricted the use of their likeness severely. It's why the "Hill Street Blues" cars even though they're clearly Chicago, said "Metro Police" on the side.