Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slung Under

James2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a little paint and assembly on this one. The engine is from the AMT Catalina with a blower from the Tony Nancy kit with Alclad Magnesium and a touch of pale exhaust, it will have the long scoop eventually. Exhaust manifolds are from a MT Challanger. The interior is coming along also. Still have quite a few things to add but it is getting there. Thanks for looking.

51.jpg

56.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

One of these days I'm going to buy a case of those Pontiac customs, just for the acre of diamond tuck. I did a Malibu wagon interior but it ate up both the kits I had...I shoulda thought smaller, like you! :lol:

Cool 'lil hot rod.

• 4 weeks later...

you could mount some lakes pipe exhaust as long as you made sure it was below the bottom door sill otherwise the driver would have to climb in through the windows. :)

great work on this build, a little side discussion regarding this style of suspension.

While the "underslung" was a viable automotive suspension variation there were some inherant issues with the design that may have contributed to it's extinction.

With the axles mounted atop the springs, all the vehicle load was placed on the spring/axle mounting bolts, stress (were hardened bolts in use back then?) and rust prevention would be big problems (IMHO). When the spring/axle mounts failed then the car frame would be laying on the ground and not going anywhere. The more popular design (which we all know and love) with the axles under the springs placed the vehicle load weight at the springs and spring to frame mounts and even if these failed the axle would still be under the frame and not have the frame on the ground.

• 5 months later...