Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flashback: AMT Scirocco

One of the first kits I remember building as a youngster was AMT's Volkswagon Scirocco. I remember having difficulty getting the whole thing together and it turned out to have a significant amount of glue. I have thought about reliving that endeavor - and I recently purchased a replacement kit, so I thought I would show others what's in the kit...

This was an interesting time at AMT - I don't know the history of the the kit, but AMT had a couple very nicely detailed, state of the art kits in the late 70s and early 80s. The Scirocco, Rabbit, and Subaru Brat are examples of such kits.

Here is the kit circa 1981:

8A5A8CDF-7D68-4611-A0B5-787EE2D38D92-446

The body, nicely done aside from the horrible red plastic:

EA94B731-FEA6-4242-A3FE-51CD0D9FEF56-446

DCC42FA9-EE67-4FE4-8335-D58191A36DD6-446

Parts - note separate interior side panels:

1B3E829A-C01A-44F1-8B8A-16C973B90352-446

F1433BCD-5DEF-494A-8BE1-85E7649C0A40-446

377556C1-A0BD-44F2-92E4-1E8E07487754-446

DB344731-0392-4ADA-9F11-72622D34DD73-446

C4185C21-490B-41CB-87DB-51ED41DCE82E-446

Tires - race tires are kind of truck like:

D4021E27-5A4C-43DF-92BB-77A5B6597EDC-446

Chrome - nicely done wheels with open spokes:

29C513FD-7A32-4A96-A2A0-A17B5EDCCD42-446

Decals:

Overall, this is a neat little kit that looks like the real car. I am not even close to an expert on cars - even less so on VWs, so any additional information is more than welcome.

Also, if you have pics of the kit built up, add 'em. Pics of your old Scirocco? Post 'em too.

Thanks!

Looks like it shares the complete engine, chassis and underhood area with the Rabbit kit ,,, which would make sense as the 1/1 was like that also.

I've built a couple of the Rabbits and found that the inderhood area was the most difficult part of the build as there's no positive locating pins and the engine kinda floats around in the opening a bit. Might be just my poor building technique though.

Yeah, Steve, I remember your most recent Rabbit and the WIP - great model BTW - and I think the engine was one of the areas I filled with glue on my original attempt.

The Scirocco and Rabbit share tires too. The chassis and engine are identical - inner fenders/engine bays are slightly different.

That's the one I had originally Jeff. I don't know if the Matchbox was a reissue or an export issue - it has multiple languages on the box. Matchbox version has a 1981 copyright.

Funny, I did too. Was just looking on eBay earlier and there was one listed. I agree, I hope someone makes the new Scirocco or releases the old one.

That's the one I had originally Jeff. I don't know if the Matchbox was a reissue or an export issue - it has multiple languages on the box. Matchbox version has a 1981 copyright.

it's a reissue, and the one in my collection is in the "Matchbox" box too. The box might have been used overseas as well, but I remember both boxes being on the shelves at my local hobby shop.

If this, the Rabbit and the Subaru Brat tooling still exist in a dark corner if the tooling vault, they should run some plastic through them this fall...

With the popularity of the V Dubs on the stance and tuner scene now would be a good time to make a little more $$ from old molds.

If this, the Rabbit and the Subaru Brat tooling still exist in a dark corner if the tooling vault, they should run some plastic through them this fall...

That would be nice. I got my drivers license in an orange 1976 VW Rabbit, and always liked the Scirocco, my wife had a Subaru Brat for a bit when we first starting dating. It was a piece of junk (used car with tons of issues) but still kind of a neat little truck so I would jump on re-issues of any of these.

That would be nice. I got my drivers license in an orange 1976 VW Rabbit, and always liked the Scirocco, my wife had a Subaru Brat for a bit when we first starting dating. It was a piece of junk (used car with tons of issues) but still kind of a neat little truck so I would jump on re-issues of any of these.

We had a 1980 Rabbit, but a 4 door. One of the New Stanton, PA specials that lowered VW Quality Control to whole new levels. We had more problems with that car than all the other cars my parents and I have owned before and since then combined.

I had a;; three of the kits mentioned here. The Rabbit is long gone, but the Brat and Scirocco still exist in various states of dis repair. All three were pretty neat kits. The Scirocco's racing pieces are very accurate for the 1:1 road racer. I'd love to see these re-issued.

Hi,

I remember building one of these Sciroccos (stock) in early 80's and it was a nice representation of the real thing.

My first car was a Mk1 Golf (same as the Rabbit) and it was a great car. VWs last well and there is a healthy car scene for them so lots of inspiration for modellers!

Cheers,

Jim

We had a 1980 Rabbit, but a 4 door. One of the New Stanton, PA specials that lowered VW Quality Control to whole new levels. We had more problems with that car than all the other cars my parents and I have owned before and since then combined.

I will defend WV Quality Control . I was a Car Hauler domiciled at Lordstown . Oh. Terminal . All Drivers from Lordstown were banned resulting from the first Load of Rabbits we hauled . We "Framed out" everything we loaded . Two of us went to the first Dealership making delivery . During the unloading procedure the decks are raised . One of the positions is on a "Jump Skid" and the stresses were too much on the Rabbit . The unibody buckled in the Middle , doors popped open , as did the hood and trunk IIRC . This was widespread as a quality issue . Along with some other "Teething Issues" . These weren't bad ..would you like to know about some Imports I experienced ? Volvo and Nova immediately come to mind . Not the designed in USA - built here Novas . The Novas built at the "Fort Apache" in California as a Joint Toyota & GM Venture . Thanx ..

I built two of these Sciroccos as a middle school student and still have one of them. I painted it a funny light metallic green. I thought it was a good model. In high school I swear half of the kids had cast off VW Rabbits and Dashers but nobody got a Scirocco. I later had a VW Rabbit and then GTI (probably the most enjoyable car I ever owned with a roof) but have never had a chance to drive a Scirocco. I always wondered how it compared to the GTI.

That is a bit off the topic. I think you will enjoy the kit.

Eric

I remember a poll taken back in the early 80's (Motor Trend?) where owners of US built VW's had far fewer problems than owners of German built ones. But most owners stated that they felt the German built cars were better built.

Consumers Union ranked the VWoA Westmoreland vehicles in 1977-79 had "worse than average maintenance record, including an oil burning problem."[An analyst with Drexel Burnham Lambert said in 1987 "the quality of the cars built in Pennsylvania wasn't up to the quality of the cars in Germany."[An analyst for Global Insight, John Wolkonowicz, said the Rabbit was "probably the most troublesome Volkswagen ever built."

I built the Brat back in '79 or '80 ; and I built the Rabbit in the early 80's .

I bought the Subaru at Woolworth's in La Mirada . I remember building it wheil watching the Carol Burnette Show !

I bought the Rabbit at JC Penney's in Whittier for $1.00 from their clearance aisle , back around 1983 . I had my older friend spray paint the body with Testors Car Colors (remember those ?) Sky Blue Metallic , and I ahnd painted the interior in Testors Flat Sea Blue .

I , too , would LOVE to see these kits reissued ! I can see a WRX Boxster engine swap into that Brat ...