Model Cars Magazine Forum

Daytona Charger/Plymouth Superbird

The Revell Daytona is by far the better of the two available (the other being an AMT), they also recently reissued the Superbird, which is an older Monogram kit (same as the '70 Roadrunner/GTX). Johan made a Superbird, but I've never built one. The Revellogram kit is simple, 1/24th I believe, but builds into a nice car. Hope that helps!

The Revell Daytona is by far the better of the two available (the other being an AMT), they also recently reissued the Superbird, which is an older Monogram kit (same as the '70 Roadrunner/GTX). Johan made a Superbird, but I've never built one. The Revellogram kit is simple, 1/24th I believe, but builds into a nice car. Hope that helps!

I agree. The Revell 1/25 '69 Daytona is the best by far. The Revell (Monogram) 1/24 kit is much simpler and not as nicely detailed, but does go together easily.

Avoid the AMT kit at all costs.

As been mentioned, avoid the AMT Daytona Charger like the plague! The Revell Daytona hands down is a much, much better kit! Not hard to build, and lends itself to some very nice detailing. As far as the Superbird, Johan made the better of the two as far as body accuracy is concerned, but falls short in chassis details.

Also the Johan kit is 1/25 if that's important to you. Be prepared to do some searching for the Johan Superbird however! They do turn up on eBay from time to time, but unbuilt examples can go for big bucks. Easier (and cheaper) to find a rebuilder that hasn't been glued to death.

Here's my Revell Daytona I did a bunch of years ago. I have two more of these kits to one day kitbash with my rebuilder Johan Superbird. ;)

P5050282-vi.jpg

P5050288-vi.jpg

What is the problem with AMT kit? I have it (Got it cheap, had to buy :lol: ), and the parts look pretty good to my eye. I'm just asking, so I can be careful if there are some "Trouble Spots" on the kit.