Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Plymouth Hemi GTX Is Done!

mrmike

I have been itching to build another Mopar lately and this one has been calling my name from the stash for a while now...Revell's '67 Hemi GTX.

67GTX01.jpg

My plan for now calls for Pegasus 19" Chrome Ts and Testors Fiery Orange One Coat Lacquer.

67GTX02.jpg

I will be adding the Hemi hood scoop from the Revell Dick Landy 1968 Dodge Charger kit.

67GTX03.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Carl! I love them, too!

I started bodywork on the hood, cutting open the hole for the hood scoop.

67GTX04.jpg

Using the back side of an old No. 11 hobby blade, I had this opened in about 15 minutes. I just need to clean up the opening.

67GTX05.jpg

Here is the Hemi hood scoop positioned on the hood. I need to trim the mounting flange on the bottom of the scoop for a better fit on the hood.

67GTX06.jpg

More to come...

That color screams modern mopar!! Love the choice of wheels too! Will you be lowering it as well?

I hope to be able to lower the cat a bit. Nothing drastic, just enough for a bit of a rake and a little lower in ride height. I'll leave the suspension for last.

Mike

I look forward to watching you build this. I always love looking at your WIPs. If for no other reason than to see your bench top and all of your paints lined up. Lol.

Later-

So, just a little paint envy... B)

No, it's more of a "neatness envy".

I have a ton of the old small Testors bottles that were beginning to overrun my bench a while back. I had some strips of J metal that I had brought home from an old roofing project. The bottles fit just perfectly inside of it. So I cut two pieces down to about 4 feet and mounted them to the wall above my bench. Now most of my bottles are alphabetized on the wall above my bench.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Great idea, Tom! It's great when you can reuse a piece of scrap material for a much needed project!

After a tough week at work where we went from a team of four people in the warehouse to a team of two in just two weeks, I'm tired!! This afternoon, I got the hood scoop centered and glued to the hood.

67GTX07.jpg

The opening is clean and smooth!

67GTX08.jpg

And, I have started working on the mold lines at the bottom of the C-pillars.

67GTX09.jpg

I need to get a coat of primer on the body to check on my progress with the mold lines. I suspect more work will be needed there.

More to come...

I got a little heavy-handed with the primer on the body so I'm going to let it sit for awhile and dry more before taking any sandpaper to it. Meanwhile, I have gone and painted the spokes on the Pegasus Chrome Ts to resemble American Racing Torque Thrusts.

67GTX10.jpg

I went ahead and painted the hood with two light coats of Testors Fiery Orange. There is a lot of metallic to this paint. And, a lot of pigment!

67GTX11.jpg

I sprayed primer on the chassis and then added overspray when the primer had died.

67GTX12.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Carl and George.

George, the primer was completely covered with paint after two mist coats of paint. I am happy with the color coverage and I may not add anymore coats after this. And, this was put of a spray can! I have complained in the past about Testors translucency and I was completely surprised by the coverage out of this three year old can of paint.

The Hemi has been partially assembled and painted. The engine block has been painted with Mopar Street Hemi Orange Engine Enamel and the intake manifold and transmission has been painted with Model Master Aluminium Metalizer.

67GTX13.jpg

I painted the firewall, core support, and the body with Testors Fiery Orange One Coat Lacquer.

67GTX14.jpg

67GTX15.jpg

More to come...

I found a set of disc brakes for the 23" Pegasus wheels in my parts box and decided to see if they fit the 19" Chrome Ts wheels...and they do! While they are oversized, they do look good to me and they be used after I paint the calipers red.
67GTX16.jpg
I drilled out the wheel centers to fit over the axle stubs and then I shortened the wheel centers to get the wheels inside the rear fenders. This is a tight fit!
67GTX18.jpg
I need to alter the front suspension to get the wheels inside the front fenders and to lower the front as well.
67GTX17.jpg
More to come...

Thanks for the comments guys!

Carl, I gave the body a coat of clear and polished it out in preparation for another coat, maybe this weekend.

The front wheels and tires stick out beyond the front fenders, requiring some modification to the wheel mounts inside the wheels. First, I shortened the mounts about 1/16th inch.

67GTX19.jpg

Then I shortened the edge of the rotors by 1/16th inch as indicated here.

67GTX20.jpg

I assembled the wheels and rotors and install them onto the front suspension and they fit within the front fenders perfectly.

67GTX21.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Carl!

Tonight, I worked on the Hemi. I added the headers, carbs and air cleaner. I am thinking about adding some fuel lines to the carbs from the fuel pump.

67GTX22.jpg

I drilled out the distributor and added plug wires to it and the coil. I need to find a piece of black wire here in the shop to make boots for the plug wires then I can paint the coil and distributor.

67GTX23.jpg

I painted other parts and pieces in various shades of black.

67GTX24.jpg

More to come...

A mockup of the engine and the exhaust shows a need for some modifications.

67GTX25.jpg

A little measuring, some cutting and the exhaust meets up where I want it. While I was at it, I removed the H-pipe so I can spread the pipes apart to meet with the header collectors.

67GTX28.jpg

Some Testors gloss black enamel and some Alclad II Chrome paint and the exhaust tips are chromed.

67GTX26.jpg

Work on the Hemi continues. I added the distributor and ran fuel lines. I need to scratch-build a fuel line splitter.

67GTX27.jpg

I cut off the spindles and moved them up on the front suspension to lower the nose of the car.

67GTX29.jpg

I painted the shocks with Olds Engine Blue enamel and Stainless Steel metalizer paints.

67GTX30.jpg

More to come...

I got the carbs plumbed and the distributor is installed and will route the plug wires shortly.

67GTX31.jpg

67GTX32.jpg

It was pointed out to me elsewhere that one of the tire treads was backwards. I corrected that and finished the rear suspension.

67GTX33.jpg

More to come...