Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Vette

59 Impala

A friend of mine gave this build to me last night. I thought at first that it was the MPC 67 Vette, but when I got home, I took a closer look at it and it's the 65 Vette from AMT. There are some pieces missing from it. The rear bumpers, the chrome surrounds for the tail lights, the top of the fuel injection and the air duck from that to the front end. The wheels are trashed from the vinyl tires and they will have to be replaced. Here are some pics of how it looks now.

IMG_0254_zps2dc531ea.jpg

IMG_0255_zpsf7dd79ae.jpg

I had to cut the glass out.

IMG_0257_zps7c5d7c35.jpg

IMG_0260_zps5fb361d9.jpg

Thanks fer lookin. :) Dan

If you pick up one of the plentiful AMT '63 Coupe kits you can use the chassis, engine, tail lights, glass and flat hood for your project. If you get the anniversary issue you'll find both up tops for the '63 roadster in the box as a bonus. I'm glad it's being preserved!

Edited by Dan Helferich

Thanks for the kind words guys. And Dan, I never thought of that. Thanks fer the information. I think that I'm gonna paint it Black as that is the color that came to me this morning. There is a lot of work to this build, but that's what I like about GLUE BOMBS. :) Dan

I'll be watching this one. I recently bought a 64 Corvette to restore. It was only missing a few parts but I bought a common 63 kit for parts. What do you need for yours?

Here is what I got. It's real nice and I got the chrome redone. I don't know what green this is but it will not come off.

64Corvetteb.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words. I have the hood that came with the car, so I don't need that. Thanks for the offer though. I found a set of tail lights with the chrome surrounds in my parts box. I also found a pair of rear bumpers that I can use. I don't know what kit they came with but I do have them. The front bumper and grill is somewhat messed up, but I think I can use it. The bottom sections of the bumper is missing so I rounded off the ends and it looks like an altered bumper. This was glued in almost solid when I got it and I worked at it until it came loose and I was able to remove it. I'll get some pic up tomorrow. My battery for the camera took a dive tonight and I have to charge it. I also worked on the rear glass to clean up the glue on it and I will post pics of that also. The engine was horrible also. I did manage to get it apart tonight. I need to find an alternator for it. Who ever built this glued a tank on where the alternator should be. DUH. I also have to find either a manifold with carbs or try and find the top of the fuel injection and the air duck for it. The wheels are trashed. The vinyl tires made mush out of them from all the years I guess. So I have to use some different ones from the parts box. Well, I think I've yaked enough for now. So I'll post some pics tomorrow. Until then, stay tuned. :) Dan

P.S. Buy the way Raoul, nice 64. The color looks good.

Edited by 59 Impala

Well, here are some pics of the glass that I worked on last night.

This first one shows what it looked like after using a fingernail sanding pad.

IMG_0282_zps0ab682e3.jpg

This next one shows after using sanding pads from 1200-4000 grit.

IMG_0283_zpsc84e1356.jpg

This last one shows after polishing it with Novus #3 and #2 polishing compounds.

IMG_0284_zps498b76e9.jpg

The bottom part of the glass will not be seen cause it is under the body, so I'm not going to worry about that section.

I'm with the other posters, it's great to see old kits being restored rather then just being tossed or broken up for parts. It's also unlikely that we'll ever see a new 1/25 scale 1965 Vette so doing a restoration like this may be the only way many of us can add one to our collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Will, I've got the body, chassis, firewall, radiator, bottom of the interior and the bumper/grill painted flat black. Here are some pics of what I did tonight.

I had to repair the grill cause I had to cut it out of the opening.

IMG_0307_zpsc0064e30.jpg

IMG_0368_zpsc394b750.jpg

IMG_0370_zpsfc5be276.jpg

IMG_0371_zps72dd989a.jpg

I didn't get pics of the grill and chassis cause I fergot. DUH. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them.

Dan,

When I was stationed in Norfolk, we used to go down to the Genroes Shopping Center (when I wasn't floating and it wasn't snowing) for their Friday night car cruise. One evening, a gentleman came rolling in with a Midnight-Blue Pearl 65. It was clad in 17" Torques and was motivated by a then-new 572 wearing EFI. to say that car was sweet is an understatement (and I am not a Vette person).