Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big, Bad, and Blue... Revell Ferrari 599 GTO

jaymcminn

I've been working on this one for a while now- it's the Revell Ferrari 599 GTO. Paint is Tamiya Deep Blue Metallic with livery decals from Hobby Design. The roof is painted in Tamiya Gunmetal with a coat of clear satin to protect it. I also used the Hobby Design photoetch detail set for this model, which I can't recommend highly enough- all the grilles and mesh come with the set, as well as the slick tread-plate interior floors. I used Scale Motorsport "High Definition" carbon fiber decals throughout the model- under the hood, all through the interior, and on the rear diffuser. This was easily the most challenging aspect of the build, as it was my first time working with these amazing decals, but I'm really proud of how all the CF turned out. It's such a noticeable part of the real car that it had to turn out right.

P1020822_zps38f864a9.jpg

The four-point harnesses were done with cloth medical tape "dyed" with a yellow sharpie. The hardware came in the Hobby Design set. I used Detail Master flocking applied with spray-mount to represent the blue Alcantara "suede" interior parts- the GTO doesn't have carpet. The seat buckets were done in carbon fiber, but the pattern doesn't show up well in this shot.

P1020819_zpsc3a9f8e5.jpg

On to some shots of the finished model...

P1020927_zps75a67e2b.jpg

P1020931_zps6855506f.jpg

P1020923_zps9dc27208.jpg

Here's a better shot of that rear diffuser... I'm really pleased with how this turned out. Note the mesh inserts around the exhausts.

P1020932_zpsb50fd10f.jpg

Here's that big swath of CF in the engine bay... I kept the engine detail pretty simple, just using a few photoetched scripts to dress things up. The fiddly and complicated photoetched wipers are also visible in this shot.

P1020945_zps7f01ca80.jpg

P1020917_zps44da2f19.jpg

And finally, here's the GTO with the last Ferrari to wear that name... I really need to get on that Italeri 250 GTO I have gathering dust!

P1020941_zps574abe23.jpg

Overall, I was really impressed with the Revell 599 GTO kit. The fit was excellent and the finished model represents its subject well. I did lower the suspension by about two scale inches, as I thought it just sat too high out of the box. The Hobby Design photoetched set gets high marks, too, and I'm going to be buying a LOT more of the Scale Motorsports CF decals for future projects... they're really amazing.

Edited by jaymcminn

Beautiful job Jay! I have all 3 GTOs & yet to build any! Lol. I've used SM CF also & it's great stuff. There is a company that makes correct 599 GTO sized wheels/tyres... Just can't recall their name... But I've gotta get their wheel set... So much better than Revell's attempts these days.

Cheers Cliff

Lovely job, Jason... it looks really wicked! I love that last shot as well... they look "just like the real thing"!

bestest,

M.

Thanks, Matt. Your build, in particular the heads-up on the fit of the "flying buttresses", really helped on this one. Now get back to work on that Maserati!

Came out awesome! Glad you kept the yellow mirrors.

Really like the low side shot. Great photography.

Thanks, Tim. The yellow mirrors definitely work better with the additional yellow touches on the body and interior. I'm glad I kept them too!