Model Cars Magazine Forum

The things I've learned over the past 2 weeks.

I've been working on a '31 Ford Model A (Revell) over the past couple weeks and have learned a few things.

#1: There is always glue on my thumb when handling painted parts. Always. Remember that part you glued 3 hours ago, and got a little glue on your thumb? It's still wet.

#2: Even big parts can get lost. Such as the driveshaft and rear-end center section piece.

#3: No matter how smooth it looks, no matter how smooth it feels, it's not smooth yet.

#4: "Skill 3" apparently is code for "these molds were designed by someone who never intended on putting this model together. We purposely placed mold lines and pin marks in the most obvious places, on the front side of parts."

#5: Apparently my thumbnail is harder than lacquer paint.

#6: Just because you can see it, doesn't mean you can paint it.

To be continued...

#8 A hobby knife that wont cut what you need it to will go through your finger like it was soft butter.

#9 When you get that perfect flawless color on the body the clear will craze or fog up if you dont drop it first.

On the note of these two, I decided this morning I was going to rub the body parts with rubbing compound before I clear coat them.

I broke off a door hinge, and there are two nicks in the paint now. I've determined that I'm just going to go ahead with the clear coating. Perfection be damned.

#13. Small parts always fly aimlessly into the abyss while holding them in your tweezers.

Amen! Done this several times. I was building a 57 Chevy and launched the heater motor/duct off somewhere into the living room. I heard it click off one of the walls and it was gone.

Lesson # 17 Do not use teeth to open stuck lid on super glue :wacko:

Never hold the super glue lid in your teeth as an extra hand and try to put the lid back on the bottle while holding tweezers with a tiny part in your other hand and then forget you missed the cap after you glue the part on and close your lips.

I'm not even sure that makes sense.