Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Question

wow Mike ,,, so what kit is more accurate ? the smaller 67 , or the larger 62

Yeah, Listen to Bill. I'm not exactly conversant on Corvettes .. I was in TR4's and Porsche's instead. :) I've never built a Corvette kit, so I'm worthless. Seeing you had both Vette's, that's MY idea of building, though! Building something you owned has become my mantra since coming back into the hobby.

I was big into Triumphs about 30 years ago I had a collection of 5 or 6 , wish I still had them ...... measure them , oh the brain power that would suck up , at my age I need to save it for other things :lol:

Talking about Triumphs, I had a 59 TR3, 72 TR6 and vintage raced a TR4. Stupid me I traded the 6 for a 356A coupe replica that I never finished.

Actually, from what Art Anderson has said, and from observed practices in engineering and design (something I've had a little exposure to in my education and in various lives of work), 1/25 actually came first because the real car companies drawings were frequently done in 1/10 scale. To make scaling down simple and to have a size that worked well for the models, 1/25 scale (2-1/2 times smaller than 1/10) became standard because the mechanical pantographs scaled parts down conveniently to that size.

Monogram introduced 1/24 scale in the 1960s just to be different, and the foreign manufacturers decided to follow them for whatever reason.

For the record:

1/24 scale: 1/2"=1'0"

1/25 scale: 15/32"=1'0"

Charlie Larkin

Speaking of Triumphs, my brother had a Spitfire that our dad and he swapped an old Mustang SVO turbo 4-banger into. It would spin the tires through 3rd gear. It was so scary of a ride my brother ended up pulling the motor and junking it (the body was pretty much gone anyway).

My guess is that somewhere along the line Revell fudged something on one or both of those kits in spite of both supposedly being 1/25th. If you want to really blow your mind with a scale comparison, check AMT's new tool '57 Bel Air hardtop with their old tool kit of the same car, then with any of the 1/25th '55-'57 Chevies from Revell!

The important thing is that the finished model "looks right". Both of those Corvettes will look just fine, even setting next to each other on a shelf..

My Triumph experance was working at a Triumph dealership from 72 to 74, and based on my experance with those cars I made the mistake of buying a 76 TR7. I had to buy a Hyundai 30 years later to get another car that bad.

Edited by Craig Irwin

The important thing is that the finished model "looks right". Both of those Corvettes will look just fine, even setting next to each other on a shelf..

My Triumph experance was working at a Triumph dealership from 72 to 74, and based on my experance with those cars I made the mistake of buying a 76 TR7. I had to buy a Hyundai 30 years later to get another car that bad.

I had a 76 TR6 & a 77 TR7. The TR6 was the best car out of the two, mainly because I replaced all of the Prince of Darkness relays, switches & fuse box with Bosch parts. Never had a electrical problem after that. I still kick myself for selling that car. :(