Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to find the color steel

Im having a hard time finding steel colored paint that a lot of models call for. There are no hobby shops in my area so ill have to use an online store. I use a lot of aluminum for heads, intake mani's and such. Im trying to paint some headers and id like to use steel so it wont match the rest of the engines components. All ive found is this color through Testors on this website but im afraid that it being stainless may look too similar to aluminum. Anyone have a place that might have what im looking for or im even open to different color ideas

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Detailing_and_Weathering/TES00001452/product.php?s=3&t=1&u=0&pg=4&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&e=0

Are you talking about tube headers, or just regular exhaust manifolds? Since headers are, for the most part, aftermarket parts on 1:1 vehicls (there are exeptions), they generally are painted by the installer before being put on the engine, and can really be just about any color. Flat black is one of the more popular choices, with silver (just a regular silver, nothing special) and flat white also being common. Header paint also comes in other colors, I've seen blue (popular in the '70s along with white), red, and orange at the FLAPS.

For cast iron manifolds, a "steel" color is ok for an brand new, never driven vehicls, but for the most part, once they get some run time on them, iron manifolds tend to turn a rust color.

The Stainless Steel Metalizer that Testors Model Master line carries is good stuff and is enough different from Aluminum that it can be used. What style of a build is it? A lot of 1:1 cars have ceramic-coated headers and Krylon 'Chrome' replicates that quite well. Also, SpazStix brand has a good chrome (must be shot over a dark base) in spray. If you are trying to replicate a Hedman or Hooker, most of those are Flat Black painted out-of-the-box.

Looks like Bill and I were typing at the same time. Exhaust manifolds can also be painted 'Iron' (I use spray from VHT, called 'New Cast Iron' and then weather it slightly with browns and a tad bit of orange to simulate dertain degrees of rust forming).

Edited by whale392

Model Masters Metallizers are by far the best metal colored paint, unless you want a polished look, then you want Alclad.

Alclad flat Aluminum is the best flat aluminum I have seen.

YOu can dry brush with the MM steel as well. Very nice stuff.