Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much $ do you put in a kit?

I for one try to scratch build everything I can or find some little trinket that looks like what i'm trying to create and modify it. I do this mostly due to a tight budget but I really enjoy the art of creativity. To me, that's what modeling is all about. My build space is full of gadgets that I have found everywhere I go. I picked up a piece of window screen off the ground the other day to incorporate into the grill of a 1/16 57 chevy. I will go to a second hand store and find a bag of odd stuff for under $5.00 that will go on 6 different builds. My biggest cost of add-ons for most builds are in "Distributor cap, Wire Looms, Brake Discs and Paint.

In reading through alot of posts, some builders are sinking major amounts of dough in their builds. Don't get me wrong, these are some incredible creations and the realism is fantastic. But at some point I look at it and think to myself (wouldn't a 1:1 car cost as much) in an irrelatively loose figure.Outside of having a yard or garage big enough to store the 1:1's in.

If you don't feel comfortable answering this than please don't.

But what is the average $ amount you will put into a kit?

As my builds are generally box-stock, it's the cost of the kit plus finishing supplies.

Once in a great while, I might add a little photo-etch or something like that, or use some stuff around the house if I need/want an extra detail.

At some point, even with my own budget, which, even when I'm working, tends to be a bit short, I do want to add wiring and things like that. At some point, I plan to attempt drilling a distributor and stuff like that.

It's taken me many years to find enough confidence to be ready to give this a shot.

Charlie Larkin

well I only have been doing this since March 3 2013 , and I only have a 40 ford semi built , and I am afraid to add up what I have spent so far , on Tuesday I am getting a mini metal lathe and on the way home I may stop at the shrink for a head check and 2 weeks after that I am getting a mini milling machine and I am positive I am stopping by the shrink after that cause I gotta be CRAZY ,, Now my first complete build will be either the 62 or 67 Corvette ( most likely the 67) and that first complete build I figure around 3 grand assuming I just do that one and drop the hobby

there now seems to be bookends on the question, with the rest of us somewhere in between.

creativity is certainly the key to any hobby. the amount of money spent on something is not always in proportion to the pleasure derived. but it sure is fun to get new stuff and learn new skills.

i think the beauty of any hobby is that there are a myriad of interpretaions of the derivative "FUN" .

or perhaps we're merely all just a bunch of frothers!

http://frothersunite.com/wotsthat.html#frother

Edited by southpier

I love Crazy Girl's comments above. I wish I had the resources to just dive in and do what she is doing, and so soon. I have been watching her with interest. I have been building model cars since 1960 when I was 9 years old. My first after market part was this year, a skull gear shift knob from Scale Dreams. Most of my models have been box stock or with parts sourced from other kits. I did buy one after market distributor after which I decided I could make my own. Besides paint, glue, and a little BMF that's about it. I love all the tips I pick up on here and truly do admire all the billet parts and details from the after market. I could spend a thousand dollars easily from the Micro Mark catalog. So far I have only ordered decal paper and a paint mixer tool.

I don't think too much about it frankly. No matter how much I spend on a build it is a pittance compared to other hobbies I could do.

However to answer your question anywhere from $0 to $50 I figure depending on the project but I buy very little aftermarket do-dads.

Like Ron I started building around 1960 when I too was about 9 or 10. Still I build mostly box stock and add only glue, paint, and bmf. I do on occassion use sheet plastic or some wiring or a pre wired distributor. Once in a while I will use 2 kits to build 1 so that will drive the price up. I am not into the "super" detailing but sure do enjoy seeing the builds of the folks that do. It's not so much the money that holds me back as it is my lack of talent and my desire to not get in over my head and have a bunch of unfinished kits.

It is hard to tell since i always buying tools. But i buy kit, paint, basic p/e for starters. That is easily $60. I am near $150 just for details alone for the 1/12 Enzo Ferrari and that is half what i sxpect to spend. It is however a once in a lifetime build for me.

joe.

I buy very little nowadays, but thankfully have a great deal of kits and aftermarket things that I bought when things were better. Back in '07 I bought a new car for my wife and a new Harley for myself. Now I can't supersize my lunch.....

I may put $100 to $125 or more in a build but I spent the money years ago.

Edited by Craig Irwin

For me it really depends on the model that I am working on at a particular time. Most of the kits in my stash (about 150) and all the aftermarket stuff I have (about $1,000 worth) I have built up and accumulated over the past 15 years or so. Lately I'll buy resin kits to build if I can't get a plastic kit of those particular subjects. I've spent $125 on a curbside resin kit. I'll rarely build anything Box Stock as I can't seem to resist adding extra details. I am fortunately somewhere in about the middle of the "bookends" that Joe mentioned above. I'm not in a position to be able to go as crazy as I would sometimes like to, but I'm also not forced to scrimp on things either.

Of course the people who build Pocher models are not in this particular conversation...... right Harry..?? :lol:

I tend not to add it up, as the amount I spend is obviously not cutting into my food and housing budget. But On my current project which is an old 1959 Buick Invicta model that I'm rebuilding I got the model cheap at a swap meet for $10, I'm combining the parts from 4 other kits that on average I also spent about $10 on. So far that's $50 I'll have another $20 in paint probably, and $9 in a set of Pegasus wheels. Beyond that maybe another $6 in scratch building materials. So about $85.00 total. When you add it up, it seems pretty bad, Until you realize I've been doing this for over 40 years. With the exception of the Buick, and the wheels, I've had everything else that is going into this kit for at least 6-20 years. So my only investment in this build is about $19 or about the same as a current kit.

IMG_5038-vi.jpg

This has turned up some interesting comments. Just like Crazy Girl had stated about buying a lathe and a mill. Purchasing a tool I feel is different in that it can be used over and over again on many models and if she gains some mad skills, could be turned into a money maker by taking orders for custom work for other builders and it can be used for other hobbies too.

I also like the book ends view point. With the money I generally put into any given kit I think I would find myself somewhere in the paperback section LOL. So it would appear that most of us are in the same general area that we spend more money on tools and finishing supplies that get used over an extended time.

Like Chris and Richard said too. I still have stuff that was bought as far back as 2000 when money wasn't such a touchy subject and am now using up. Outside of the average $20.00 kit I've only made one purchase of $175.00 for a 1/12 scale Lamborghini and I felt like I should see a shrink for that one at the time.

The Love and Enjoyment of the hobby should be the prime target, like southpier (Joe) said that the money isn't always proportionate to the finished product or the enjoyment of seeing the build completed.

Thanks for the comments so far. I hope that more people jump into this one.

my 1/12 57 Chevy I am building is going to be very expensive. Based on the engine and tranny, I estimate the cost of completion to be at least $500, maybe $700-$800 if I get into machined wheels and stuff. i also expect it to take at least 500 hours. so far it's been ongoing for 4 years, I'm trying to spread it out.

my 1/24, if I go with photo etched, a new paint color for that car, about $50-$100 depending on the brand of kit.

I haven't bought stuff in a while though. I'd like to but I've had to back off. trying to fix up the house.

I haven't actually built a kit yet, but have a small stash of 40 kits and a few boxes of junkyard parts I got on Ebay. All tolled, probably $5-600 tied up so far, including tools and finishing supplies. When I do finally get back to building, I plan to do box stock builds at first and go from there.

Now, my primary hobby is another story. Being a woodworker/cabinetmaker, I have acquired quite an arsenal over the past 35 yrs. I probably have at least $10k in tools, accessories and supplies along with another $6-7K in lumber inventory. Now, mind you, if I was a pro, these figures could easily triple.

John

well I only have been doing this since March 3 2013 , and I only have a 40 ford semi built , and I am afraid to add up what I have spent so far , on Tuesday I am getting a mini metal lathe and on the way home I may stop at the shrink for a head check and 2 weeks after that I am getting a mini milling machine and I am positive I am stopping by the shrink after that cause I gotta be CRAZY ,, Now my first complete build will be either the 62 or 67 Corvette ( most likely the 67) and that first complete build I figure around 3 grand assuming I just do that one and drop the hobby

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is NO set amount that I will put into a kit. Some are box stock only (like the Bathtub Buggy I just finished today), and others that require parts from multiple kits from the stash, sometimes I cast some parts thus the cost of the resin, sometimes photo etch etc. It just depends on what I am trying to accomplish at that moment. I do not intend to put a lot of money into one, or TRY to make an expensive build at all.

Having said that, even the "standard" expenses such as paint varies. IE: some Alclad or or other bottle paints usually get amortized over several builds. But with the aforementioned Bathtub Buggy, I used probably a third of a bottle of Alclad brass.

Basically, It Just Depends! LOL

It's rare I put much than than box contents , so figure maybe kit costs plus $20

I have done some with added detail then I would guess maybe another $20-$30 on top of that, But that build might be 1 out of 20 that go beyond box stock

Depands on what you want out of it,,box stock, full custom, The price of a model depands on the persons wants,

you can spend a couple, up to hundreds, Each and every person will have a price,, How do you add up the paint, and materials you already have,?

If your spending that much on models, I have a mint restored 64 Plymouth Fury Convertible you can buy from me. Its mid $30s....Show quality and drive it anywhere in North America without problems..White/Blue interior...426 Street wedge....

I don't have any pre-set limit. I'll spend whatever it takes to produce the result I want.

So far, the most I have ever spent on ONE specific kit, not including normal supplies that are used for all models, like tools, paints, glues, body filler, sandpaper, etc... but just the stuff needed for this one particular kit, is $1,000, give or take a buck or two.