Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Far Would You Travel To A Show?

One week from now I will be in 'Styrene and Resin Heaven'. That is to say that I will be at the NNL East. This is an annual trip for hundreds of loyal fans. There are a group of us that travel together from southern Ontario. The trip is just a little over 500 miles from my place (Toronto) to Wayne. We leave early enough on Friday to be able to enjoy the Friday night camaraderie.

I'm just wondering what sort of distance are you willing to travel for your favorite hobby addiction? Throw in those ocean crossing numbers as well. LOL

P.S. For my good friend Peter, who does the driving, add an extra 100 miles to the distance one-way!

I live about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA. Since I don't drive anymore due to partial vision loss as a result of a stroke back in 2000, I go to the NNL East with my friend Tom Valenta who lives in Hendersonville, NC. Tom drives up to my home usually on the Thursday before the NNL East show and we hang out for awhile. It's a 7 hour drive for him to get to me. We leave from my home midday Friday and drive to Wayne, NJ to check in at the hotel and meet "the gang" at the Friday night gathering. That is about a 6 to 7 hour drive, depending on traffic, etc. On Sunday after the show, we drive down to Tom's home in NC which is about a 10 hour drive. Thankfully, Tom enjoys driving, especially in his Dodge Magnum with the Hemi.

Isn't that the truth. That combined with the price of gas makes you pause and think before deciding to go on any long road trip.

Apparently things arn't any better north of the border, eh? I have to think twice about buying small or large fries with lunch anymore. And forget about eating where the food is good.....

Edited by Craig Irwin

The longest that I have traveled so far is about 7-8 hours to attend the NNL in Atlanta (smyrna, actually). However, I will be leaving Friday morning to travel to New Jersey for the NNL East. This will be the 1st time that I will be flying with models. It should be fun. According to Google maps, It is just shy of 1200 miles from my house to the venue for NNL East. I'm also planning on attending the IPMS nationals in August in Colorado Springs.

Back in the early 90's I fly from London to Des Moines, Iowa for a 3 day R/C aircraft show .... it was that good I went back the next year, but stayed a little longer and travelled around for a while, the trip down the London took me about 1 1/2 hours, the flight to Minneapolis took about 7 1/2 hours then the flight to Des Moines took just under an hour .... so around 10 hours all round

Edited by GeeBee

I'm getting too old and stiff of body to travel much anymore. Luckily, the NNL East is in the town my brother-in-law lives (Wayne, NJ) so that 3 hour trip south is no biggie, And my son lives just another hour south so I get to see the grandkids the next day.

It would be nice to see further away shows, but I'm happy that the largest one in the country a trip away I can handle and also get to see family at the same time :)

I've been to NNL East three times. A scheduling conflict is preventing me from going this year, as is a rather bad, unexpected money crunch. Not that money usually isn't crunched for me, but it's worse. My closest friend- really the brother I never had, lives in Brooklyn, so I can go see him after.

For next year, I'd like to go down the night before so I don't have to be up stupidly early for a 4-1/2 hour drive. Now that I have my Roadmaster running correctly, it's a great highway car and actually gets pretty decent mileage on the open road.

If things ease in the next few weeks, I MIGHT try to make Mid-Atlantic NNL.

GSL and NNL West are on the radar for someday, and perhaps one of the big mid-western shows.

Gas is a consideration, the economy is a consideration. $2/gallon gas would make it easier enough to go instead of $3-something/flirting $4/gallon, and the economy speaks for itself. Most knowledgeable financial annalists and economists predict this mess won't turn around globally for another four to six years, and that's only if a lot of people remove their heads from their posteriors....so, a turnaround is unlikely.

Charlie Larkin

Three and half to four hours is the farthest I'll travel to a model show. I only attend one a year at Louisville's Derby City Shootout. I'm up for another back surgery in May. So, this year may not happen.

1280 miles to GSL, 620 to NNL East, 310 to Louisville, 255 to Indy, 110 to Detroit, and this year also making a trip to the show me state that is 740 miles. Traveling is not a big problem or gas prices to me as they are still lower compare to every thing else that has gone up over the years.

As a general rule maybe 100 miles is my max I think. even then it has to make sense.

A few years back I did the Toldeo show and the . with the contest the next day . That was probably 10 years ago or longer. I plan to to it again this year if finances allow

No shows around here close enough for me to attend. That's a big reason I love this forum, a chance to share pics and ideas with others without leaving the comfort of home. Before the Interweb I could only guess at what was going on in the real world.

From where I live, I'll make the trip to Indy about 50 to 60 miles away at least twice a year. Got to watch the Wife though, or she will plan a vacation somewhere else the week of the show like she did last year. I have never entered a car at either show, maybe this year. I would like to attend one at Cincinnati or Louisville someday or maybe Columbus, Ohio or Chicago. All these cities are in the 100 to 200 mile range. It could become costly with motel expense and travel if I went any farther.

I have traveled 750 miles to be at the NNL West. Then again I grew up 50 miles south of where the NNL West is held and now live in Phoenix. Hands down that has to be one of the best shows I have gone too. I still would like to be able to go to the GSL one of these days.

No shows around here close enough for me to attend. That's a big reason I love this forum, a chance to share pics and ideas with others without leaving the comfort of home. Before the Interweb I could only guess at what was going on in the real world.

I don't know where in Vermont you are, Bruce, but there will be a show in Richmond tomorrow.

Barring that, there are a bunch of guys that come down from Vermont to MassCar. Perhaps some kind of ride-share could be arranged.

Charlie Larkin