Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box-Stock or Custom?

Box-Stock or Custom  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which style do you prefer to build in?

• Box-Stock
    • Custom
    • A little bit of both depending on the vehicle.
    • None Of The Above- I scratch build everything.
    • All of the Above

I can honestly say that it is rare that I build out of box, the reason being I don't like what they give me, it usualy doesn't reflect my tastes, For example AMT's '69 GTX Convertible, I Didn't want a 426 Hemi 4spd car with a dana 60, so It will be built as a 318 LA, 727 Torqueflite 8 3/4 car.

Nick

I build box-stock because of my non patience.. If I'd get too involved I would either lose interest or patience and subject would be wall bound. I like to do paint and detailing with paint. My dexterity isn't too good since the stoke so that has something to do with it too. I might change some things but don't do wiring/plumbing/photo etch. Just like the simple fun build that shows well in shows or the shelf..Clean is what I strive for...My two cents worth...

I build both.

I think the principals are the same. It is very possible to build an outstanding model with nothing but box contents, imagination, hard work, and attention to detail. I have seen a lot of overly bashed/complicated builds fail miserably because of execution.

I do mostly box stock according to your options. You should have added kitbashing, as I do some of that. I build mostly factory stock, and sometimes I need parts from other kits to do a particular build.

I don't think I have built anything from the box in 20 years or better. I always seem to find something to change to keep it from looking like the next guys project. besides isn't the ,what do you call it,,,,,instruction sheet,,optional? :blink:

I almost never like what the kit intended. For instance right now I've got a '31 Model A that is going to look nothing like the box art, and I'm starting a '55 Chevy Stepside "street machine" that... well, isn't going to look quite like that. Although with that kit all I am changing is the wheels, tires and stance.

I haven't built a Box Stock model in about 15 years. I used to try to discipline myself to do at least one every year, just to keep my detail painting skills sharp, but I eventually gave up because to me, models look so "bare" in the engine compartment and interior without some (or a lot of) added details.

I don't like limiting myself. I build from the box, custom, kitbashed. I scratch build parts that I need. I build both rusty and SHINY. I just can't limit myself to building one style over and over again. In a hobby like this, there's way too much to explore and learn.

David G