Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Nova 4 cylinder, 3 speed

I am starting a 69 Nova, 4 cylinder, 3 speed in Garnet Red. Here is the body, and the basic engine block after cutting and reassembly. I removed the #1 and #5 cylinders. I am using the Trumpeter 63 Nova 6 cylinder as the base engine.

031d3ec6e1.jpg

f7cf088fa5.jpg

3f4983a58c.jpg

Yep, 69. Tommy, aka roadhawgster herer, told me about them. He is a walking encyclopedia concerning vintage GM.

Edited by midnightprowler

YES !!! I've never seen a '68-'69 Nova with a 4 popper , but I know that they exist .

Good call on replicating one of these oddballs !

My mother had a 1963 Chevy II with a 4 cylinder . Its only options were 4 speed and AM radio ; just a base 2 door post .

From everything that I've read , a 4 cyl / 4 speed "II" is quite rare .

Did these 4 banger Nova come with 13" wheels or 14" ?

Edited by 1972coronet

Cool model! That's one I though to do, but never got around to! So it will be fun to watch the build. I've never seen a 4 cylinder Nova in person (other than the 1980s Toyota built Novas) but I understand they were marketed as fleet vehicles, and not all that successfully. Gas was cheap and nobody really cared back in those days.

When I was in high school in 1976, the local gas and electric utility sold off a bunch of '66 Nova 2 door sedans, but with 6 cylinder automatics. Bare bones cars, rubber floor mats, no radio, manual steering and brakes. They were all painted gold, but dulled out due to years of never being washed or waxed. My friend Carlos bought one for $75. They sold a lot of them so you'd see them around town. In short order we figured out they were all on a fleet key, so my friends would see one in a parking lot, use Carlos' key and move the car to a different spot.

I never knew they had 4 bangers in them.

I had a 69 in Butternut yellow, one owner, 69K miles with a 230 c.i. 6 & powerglide.

The upper seat belts hadn't ever been moved from their headliner clips.

The only option it did have was power steering.

I wish I still had that car!

I've got to get one of these kits and make one of my car.

Very nice build so far...

YES !!! I've never seen a '68-'69 Nova with a 4 popper , but I know that they exist .

Good call on replicating one of these oddballs !

My mother had a 1963 Chevy II with a 4 cylinder . Its only options were 4 speed and AM radio ; just a base 2 door post .

From everything that I've read , a 4 cyl / 4 speed "II" is quite rare .

Did these 4 banger Nova come with 13" wheels or 14" ?

Good question, I will find out, but I suspect 14".

When my dad was looking for a new car in late 1968/early 1969, he drove a 4-cylinder Nova. NO power at all! And that screwy Hy-Drive transmission- a P/G with the automatic shifting removed, yeah...not a lot of fun. He ended up getting a leftover '68 Charger with a 318/automatic. I think that's his favorite car of everything he's owned still.

Lee, this is cool! I'll watch this with a lot of interest.

Charlie Larkin

A friend of mine in high school in the '80s actually owned a '69 four-banger Nova, and I have NEVER seen one since. You could outrun it with a bicycle. As I recall, whatever optional equipment might have been available for a Nova would definitely not have been ordered by someone who wanted cheap (and I mean CHEAP!) wheels like this. Very cool project idea.

Edited by W-Machine